Kamado change

ebijack

Hey John, since your new position, I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but. Placing the seal on a lower surface away from the direct opening I would think there were never be a need to replace the seal due to a high temp cook. Should be an easy change in their molding process. Just a thought. A step in both the lower base and a matching step in the upper lid.

2een.jpg

I mentioned/suggested this a while back in another thread, maybe on the KJ forum - it's how the top and bottom of the Komodo Kamado work as well. Manufacturing tolerances have to be much tighter to allow a fit like this to work, plus the hinge and band system have to be in perfect alignment.

I don't really see it as a problem, If the drop lip was very deep, which it doesn't have to be there would be an issue with the rotation/lifting of the lid, but since the drop doesn't have to be that big to keep the heat away from the seal, it should be fairly easy. Even if requiring raising the center line of the hinge, still shouldn't be a problem. IMHO

I'm all for such a change - that's why I suggested it previously. I was however trying to provide some potential reasoning behind why it's not done. BGE would have a very hard time with this given their sloppy hinges on the XL for instance.

A simple tapered 3 degree angle on the lower section step down surface before the seal area would make it a breeze and easy to open an allow some room for miss alignment.  They probably don't want to make a change due to cost, but I was thinking when they come out with a new size/version, make the change then. I just think it would be a major selling point, no more having to change out gaskets and no worries about running well above 800 deg if you want. Just the ramblings of an old time fabricator.

Sounds like a great idea. Do you the have to be absolutely viggenlent about alignment? I have seem tons of post about bolts loosening, and lids going out of alignment. If the lid was out of alignment wouldn't you great some serious pressure and a single spot? I could imagine a good number of lids or bases breaking that way... Just my guess

Actually a tapered edge as proposed would induce more risk to damage from misalignment. Misalignment with flat services is no problem where with a taper you could easily crack or chip the base and dome if misaligned. Also with that design there is less landing area which is more stress. Sometimes a well intended change has consequences that are worse than what was being addressed by the change. Hardly worth the risk for a $20 gasket. Also, one shouldn't have to drive the kamado above 800 too often except for maybe a couple of folks here.

It looks like an interesting concept for sure.  It would involve a significant change in the design.  The first problem I see with it is direct cooking and high heat searing.  The current position of the top of the fire ring allows you to place your grill lower in the kamado to get it closer to the coals.  There would have to be a different cooking rack design to accommodate that part of cooking on a design like this and it would also have to have a smaller grill to fit down inside the fire ring that would be elevated above the gap in this design.

I just did a quicky sketch to show the idea, no change to the interior in any way. Same grills/racks etc. Just changing the outer closure surfaces and possibly the distance between the upper and lower hinge. Just a thought/ suggestion. I'm thinkling about doing it to my Acorn when I get some time.

Ok.. I see what you are talking about now.  I do believe it would actually eliminate the potential of burned out gaskets.  It would make the kamado body and lid wider at the seal point in order to accommodate the elevated 'lip' if the grill diameter is not being reduced.  There may actually be a simpler solution that would solve this issue with no re-design on the shape of the grill also.  I'll pass this idea along...

• 2 weeks later...