verified - you need to burp it! doh

FYI, if you get your kamado up to 600+ then close down the vents for a few minutes, you really need to burp it correctly if you want to open it back up.  The fireball was HUGE!  Lost about 50% of the hair on the left hand and the kitchen smelled like burnt hair for a bit.

The tritip looks good though.

OUT.

Ouch! I think quite a few of us have been there, for whatever reason it lead to the incident, but this is something we all need to keep in our minds when we are cooking on our kamados. I tell anyone who comes over to my house and cooks with me on the kamado about kamado flash and how important it is to properly burp your cooker and be mindful of a situation that could arise. The manufacturers need to include a full page advert on kamado flash and safety with these cookers, might lead to a few less burns and cracked up ceramic lids!

Welcome, sandiegojoe. Good advice. Please stop by the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself. The hair will grow back, and the kitchen smell will dissipate over time. To quote Dan Fogleberg, "Lessons learned are like bridges burned; you only need to cross them but once."

Mr Cue is right--there ought to be a warning.

The manufacturers need to include a full page advert on kamado flash and safety with these cookers, might lead to a few less burns and cracked up ceramic lids!

Oh they did mention this in the manual I think.  I'll take responsibility for being a dumbass and not blame the MFG on this one.

Wow! I make it a habit to burp every time regardless of temperature. This it will always be second nature to do so instead of only doing it at xxx temp.

Yes, I agree.  Although I said 600+, it could happen at much lower temps as well.  May I point out one major screwup on my part, I didn't open any of the vents before opening the lid.  

The tri-tip was good!  Took it off at 138f, the center was medium/well in my opinion.  Wife says my meat doneness scale is skewed after spending half my life traveling around the world for work.

To add insult to injury, I give you fireballs (which I've circled) and gracefully hid my identity!!!!!  I have a nice HD video of it but I don't feel up to posting that!http://www.kamadoguru.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif fireball.jpg

Goodness gracious, great b.o.f.!

Glad you didn't get hurt n the back yard pyrotechnics!