Just got mine today - Thermometer is accurate

I picked up my Akorn today. I got it at Lowes for $299. I also purchased a 22.5" grid as recommended in the video reviews. I found it very easy to put together. I didn't seal it up yet as I'm going to see how it performs first.

Before I put the thermometer in, I tested its accuracy by putting it in some boiling water. It was right on at about 212 degrees. I think the discrepancy in the temp from the video review is the shortness of the probe on he the installed thermometer. It's very short.

BTW, I've owned a "small" green egg for years. It doesn't have enough cooking area for me - you can barely fit a rack of ribs on it (and to do that it has to be cut in half). I've cooked some good meats on it, but I just couldn't justify spending so much money for a larger one. Additionally, I've NEVER liked how the green egg cooks chicken. I'm probably in the minority on that, but to me, no matter what you do and how long you let the lump burn before cooking, the chicken always has a nasty overly smoky taste. Sometimes, I think those that swear by the green egg are cult-like and closed minded in their thinking. It's a good grill, but by no means the "Answer".

I look forward to using the Akorn. I have a feeling it will be just as good as the green egg.

Since you are in the position of owning an egg and an akorn.

It will be of much interest how you find the units compare with each other.

You have to do a chicken cook on the Akorn so we can find out if it cooked it better than the Egg

I will be interested as to how the acorn compares as well. Luckily my themometer was accurate as well, or at least it said the same thing my oven did. I started at 200 and went to 450 in 50 deg increments so I could check the accuracy along the way. south of 300 it was dead on but going above 300 it started to stray a bit. Fortunately it didn't stray enough for me to worry, the most was 20 deg warm at 450.

I took a closer look at the bottom vent and I didn't like the air gaps. I removed the vent and applied some RTV Hi-temp silicone and re-installed the vent.

I'm gonna let it cure for a couple hours and then I'll heat it up for the first time to season the cast iron.

post-439-13756507068891_thumb.jpg

I took a closer look at the bottom vent and I didn't like the air gaps. I removed the vent and applied some RTV Hi-temp silicone and re-installed the vent.

I'm gonna let it cure for a couple hours and then I'll heat it up for the first time to season the cast iron.

I would run a bead vertically by the center screw hole as well. I think air will come in by the slots by the numbers.