Black Friday at Ace Hardware

Guest mjflem

I tried to find an online promo code for the coupon and see if it would apply it to my "For store pickup" order but had no luck. On the bright side, I now know that when I have the cash to buy a KJ I can have it shipped site to store for no additional cost, that's pretty sweet.

I'm all for a steal, my concern is would he franchisee be reimbursed?

I don't mind chiseling a mega conglomerate for a deal. Squeezing an owner/operator doesn't feel right to me.

It's not a matter of being "reimbursed" poolguy. ACE stores buy wholesale through their warehouses. I don't think that it is any big trade secret they have more than a 20% margin to work on. They can sell at a 20% discount and still make a few coins. I was formerly in a retail business, and we would sell products at a loss just to get people in the door. That's where the term "Loss Leader" comes from. Someone comes in and buys a Kamado Joe at 20% off and picks up a cover, heat deflector, lump charcoal, fire-starters maybe even a grill expander or a pizza stone. That's money man! Going to the check-out his eyes may even catch a  cordless tool set he has been drooling over. That's what retail is about; Get 'em in the door, then hopefully they will go crazy! Nobody is being "chiseled".

I bought some of my KJ accessories at the ACE by my house during thier last 20% sale about 4 weeks ago which was a good deal. They will not negotiate at all with any of thier ceramic grills and tables, BGE and KJ, ever! The guy told me the only time that they reduced their grills was when they cleared out the Visions to make room for the KJ. They have had a small BGE sitting there for a very very long time and I have been trying to talk them down on that but they won't budge from $549 for the grill alone. I'll will probably try again to see if they would budge on the price and if they don't by the end of the year I'll just get the Jr when it comes out.

I get the retail "dance." My pop owns 3 pharmacies, a $1600 prescription sale puts a whopping $9.00 ( yes nine) in his win column.

It's all about foot traffic & while "we got 'me here." I have never had the stomach for retail. I have seen it as a necessary evil, perception of establishment.

I am thankful to sell rebar, sand , cement, stone & water. ( Italians with trowels are the secret ingredient.)

I bought some of my KJ accessories at the ACE by my house during thier last 20% sale about 4 weeks ago which was a good deal. They will not negotiate at all with any of thier ceramic grills and tables, BGE and KJ, ever! The guy told me the only time that they reduced their grills was when they cleared out the Visions to make room for the KJ. They have had a small BGE sitting there for a very very long time and I have been trying to talk them down on that but they won't budge from $549 for the grill alone. I'll will probably try again to see if they would budge on the price and if they don't by the end of the year I'll just get the Jr when it comes out.

Its pretty much a known on BGE forums I found out that BGE does not allow any discounts on their products. They can, throw in free stuff like bags of lump, placesetter, grid lifter whatever, but they can't lower price on the egg apparently as many have tried. 

Dealers can sell their products for any price they want, they just can't advertise below a certain price. It's called MAP: Minimum Advertised Price. The companies can set a MAP price, but there is no way they can control any negotiations between a dealer and a customer.

DD, my friend got his XL BGE for quite a bit lower than MSRP and MAP, so while many dealers won't move, some will.  Andy is bang-on here. If a manufacturer was controlling, or conspiring with retailers to maintain, a fixed price, that would be called price fixing - and it's illegal - a federal crime in both the US and Canada.  Obviously a lot of companies still try to net the same effect through incentives and maybe punitive measures that might be hard to correlate/prove are tied to price control.  This kind of control, vertical, is potentially a lot harder to prove/police than horizontal (fixed between parties that would typically be competitors, such as multiple manufacturers, multiple retailers, etc..)