Turkey on the akorn

I am thinking of cooking a whole turkey on my akorn. I have only smoked one on my old water smoker. Can anybody give me some info as to how long and what temp I should cook this at? It is a 16 lb turkey. I have a diffuser for indirect method and a maverick thermometer so I can monitor the temp.

Thanks!

I know I sound like a broken record on this forum, but I did two turkey videos (one whole and one breast only) on the CGK last year that are still available on my BEERNBBQBYLARRY YouTube channel. About 325 give or take until done. Use a drip pan below to catch drippings for gravy. Place the neck, wing tips, the other parts typically stuffed in the little bag, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, and other herbs in it with a little water. Don't place the pan right above the fire though. Look at my video to see how to use homemade standoffs to prevent scorching.

I have enjoyed your videos Larry, I don't always agree, but they give me something new to try and or think about.

Thanks. No need to agree on everything cooking related. There are many ways to accomplish the same task and personal preferences are a major factor in how it gets done. I've changed my own mind on how to cook stuff over the years and have even flip flopped back and forth on some stuff even on some of my videos that were posted. :-)

Thanks for the tips. I had not thought about using a drip pan which is a great idea. (I already had a drip pan with the water smoker). I plan to use the heat deflector for indirect heat and will put the pan on top of that. Plan to use apple wood (unless I can find some peach locally). Looking forward to the cook!

Don't forget to use some sort of standoffs for your drip pan to minimize scorching the drippings. I learned the hard way. Separating the heat deflector and the bottom of the drip pan by even a small air gap removes the conductive heat transfer from the hot fire through the heat deflector to your pan. I use rolled up foil to lift the pan off the deflector a tiny bit.

I know I sound like a broken record on this forum, but I did two turkey videos (one whole and one breast only) on the CGK last year that are still available on my BEERNBBQBYLARRY YouTube channel. About 325 give or take until done. Use a drip pan below to catch drippings for gravy. Place the neck, wing tips, the other parts typically stuffed in the little bag, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, and other herbs in it with a little water. Don't place the pan right above the fire though. Look at my video to see how to use homemade standoffs to prevent scorching.

You should post your video link in this thread :)  Grab the YouTube short link via the 'share' option on the video page and paste it into a message here and the video will embed itself in the message...

You should post your video link in this thread :) Grab the YouTube short link via the 'share' option on the video page and paste it into a message here and the video will embed itself in the message...

Good idea. Here it is. Go to the 7:10 mark.

My method for separating the deflector to drip pan, when putting foil in the drip pan, keep it about an inch from the bottom of the drip pan. You only need the foil to go down an 1 or so. Works great. Leave enough foil over the edge of the drip pan so when your getting your drippins you can pull/unfold one corner and form it into a lip so you just pour off the drippins into your pan to make your gravy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...