Turkey on the akorn

1 hour ago, JOC said:

Planning for Thanksgiving and am thinking about using turkey as excuse for buying a Kamado.  How large a turkey can you cook on Akorn?  Thanks!!

I can't imagine a turkey that wouldn't fit but I also can't imagine wrestling a 23 lb monster off it and back in the kitchen.  A online guide says a 25 lb bird will fit in a 16 x 13 pan.  

11 hours ago, JOC said:

Planning for Thanksgiving and am thinking about using turkey as excuse for buying a Kamado.  How large a turkey can you cook on Akorn?  Thanks!!

I have an akorn I bought in may for sale for $200 if you are near eastern NC. It comes with a smoking stone. 

A lot of good tips in this thread. Here's mine from last Thanksgiving. I brushed it with butter every 30 minutes after the first hour. Easy on the smoke, I added too many chunks of wood (2-3) the first time I smoked a turkey and it turned out too smokey. Well, the wife thought so. Every year since then, she always reminds me about it. :roll:

20161124_112342.jpg

20161124_140139.jpg

On 10/21/2017 at 10:00 AM, JOC said:

That depends on your resourcefulness! I can see a really big bird sitting on a "beer can" stand in a half-sheet pan on on the heat deflector. 

8 hours ago, Mironccr345 said:

... Easy on the smoke, I added too many chunks of wood (2-3) the first time I smoked a turkey and it turned out too smokey. Well, the wife thought so. Every year since then, she always reminds me about it. :roll:

"Too smokey" is usually associated with immature fires and flame. Mature cooking fires, sans wood, have a slight bluish smoke. Young fires have quite dense smoke and not suitable for cooking. 

I've killed meat by letting the wood catch fire. You can only add wood to a mature fire. I like to embed the wood, so it burns along the way. The key is keeping air flow under control when the wood burns, as flame needs oxygen. A low air flow environment can only smoulder, and produces very tasty food.  

I've done same day comparisons of oven-roasted and smoked turkey. They tasted the same, as long as both were well brined beforehand. Brine is the secret for poultry, and a lot of other meats. And there are some things wives never forget, like anything you cook that's not quite perfect. 

Have fun,

Frank

On 10/21/2017 at 7:00 AM, JOC said:

Last time I checked, a 25 lb bird will easily fit in an Akorn.  The largest I ever smoked in the Akorn was 13 lbs because there were only 4 of us last year, and there was room to spare.  Make sure you plan to put some smoke on it if you do buy a Kamado