Hi all,

After reading a lot on this forum, I decided to order my Akorn. So just waiting for it to get delivered in the next couple days and I'm quite excited! Already went and order a couple things to make some modifications to it based on what I read here. The only thing I need now is a good cover. I am in Canada and the original cover would be approx $65 plus shipping which I find a little pricy... I saw some nice ones at a reasonable prices on the weber website, but not sure how they will fit... Any suggestions?

Tks,

JX

Hi jx, welcome aboard!

I would strongly encourage you to try out your kamado for a while and learn to control temperatures before you make any modifications to your grill. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Spend some time reading up on how others start & control their fires. Here's what I do.

As for a cover, some have reported that the cover for the Weber Q fits well, and should be available in Canada. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weber-Q-Premium-Cover/10924694

Home Depot has the original cover for $29.99 US

Char-Griller Akorn Grill Cover

Model # 6755 Internet # 204216465

Home Depot has the original cover for $29.99 US

Char-Griller Akorn Grill Cover

Model # 6755 Internet # 204216465

That's the one I got too.  Site to store shipping is free! 

Tks all for the answers. But as I mentionned in my first post, I live in Canada and Home Depot Canada don't have the original cover. Only in the US. So I picked up the Weber one Toe has suggested. Should get the grill next week and will try it then.

Tks a lot.

JX

I have used my grill 4 times now and it needs no mods. Hold temp great and shuts down ok after cooking. As said above try it a few times before modding.

I did minor mods to mine but totally agree that you should use it first and see what you have and then do the minimum needed or you may be good as you are.

If you have a new model with the air tight aluminum top--you will be able to control the temps as long as the o-ring is good and you have bent the latch so that the top will not move when latched.

Give this a try. Light your fire and bring it to two hundred degrees.  Leave your bottom vent wide open or with a small gap--doesn't matter. Now close the top vent down to just a sliver or even just leave the half circle. See what temp you stabilize at.  If your temp starts dropping then just barely tweak the top vent gap. Some where around a sliver you should get in the 200 to 250 range.These units have always been able to control the temp from the top if they have the new top vent.

Now for fun try the opposite. Open the top vent wide open after the unit hits 200 and close the bottom vent down to just a sliver or even close it. If it stabilizes at 200 to 250 then you have a tight bottom also. If it starts slowly creeping up then you have a leaky bottom and unless you can get it tight then you will need to control the temps from the top.

Will the weber Q300 cover fit the

Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill in Grey with Cart
Model # 6520 Internet # 204151650? Or just the one with the 3 wheel cart? Just got the 4 wheel one for my other half and trying to find the right cover for it, thanks in advance!

Will the weber Q300 cover fit the

Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill in Grey with Cart
Model # 6520 Internet # 204151650? Or just the one with the 3 wheel cart? Just got the 4 wheel one for my other half and trying to find the right cover for it, thanks in advance!

I know this is an old question, but I am looking for a cover for the King-Griller (Akorn Kamado with cart, Model #6250), and no one seems to have them. Any suggestions for alternatives that fit?