John Setzler

Smoked Pork Loin with Cherry Almond Glaze!

Today's cook on the Kamado Joe Cooking Channel is a 4.75 pound pork loin roast with a cherry almond glaze!  This is a rather quick and easy cook!  Here's the recipe:

Smoked Pork Loin with Cherry Almond Glaze

Ingredients:

1 3-5lb pork loin

Seasoning:

2 tbsp coarse kosher or sea salt
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp granulated garlic

Glaze:

1 10oz jar of cherry preserves
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup light corn oil
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Directions:

Preheat grill, smoker, or oven to 300 degrees.  Trim the roast of excess fat.  Mix seasoning ingredients and coat the outer surface of the pork loin.  (Optional: tie roast to create a more uniform thickness for even cooking.)  Place the roast on the grill or in the oven and insert meat thermometer into the center of the meat.

Preparing the Glaze:

Place all glaze ingredients except almonds in a medium saucepan and bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly.  Once a slow boil is achieved, reduce heat to low and stir in almonds for 5 more minutes.  Set aside and keep warm.

Glazing the Loin:

When the internal temperature of the loin reaches about 90 degrees, baste the roast on all sides with a light coat of the glaze.  When the roast reaches 115-120 degrees, baste it once more.  

When the pork loin reaches an internal temperature of 135-140 degrees, remove it from the grill, cover with foil, and let rest for 10-15 minutes.

Slice and serve with remaining glaze.

Delicious stuff!

John,

I watched to video on the KJ youtube channel earlier today.  That looks delicious!  I have a few pork loins in the freezer will have to get one out and try it out.  Great Job!

That was a really instructive video, John. Good job.

When I cook 3" ribeye or 2" pork chops, I always tie; you're right-- it makes for a much more even cook.

Nice tie-up job, too. It looked almost like a butcher's tie.

I think the real lesson is to pull the meat at 138/140 and rest.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      This was an outstanding meal and pretty easy to cook.  The veggies cooked in a foil pack with a little pork rub and olive oil.  The loin cooked indirect at 300°f for about 90 minutes and was pulled at an internal temperature of 148°f.

I cut this open, dusted with some pork rub, cream cheese and fresh spinach out of our garden. 

Tied it up nice and tight and put in in the preheated Primo.

Just about ready!

Yum, the spinach was juicy and the cheese creamy.

The sprouts and asparagus steamed perfectly in their own juices and complimented the pork very well.

Had to have something refreshing to finish this meal with!
    • By DerHusker
      My wife and I have been cooped up in our house for 2 weeks so we decided to take a drive just to get out. We drove down to Downtown San Diego to see what things were like and found a virtual ghost town.  This video shows us driving up 5th in the Gaslamp District. Normally there would be thousands of people on the sidewalks and bumper to bumper traffic. Pretty surreal!

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By Shortyque
      First, a brief confession.  I have had a joetisserie for about a year, and only used it maybe 3 times.  Did a chicken, a turkey, for some reason just a little underwhelmed with the whole process, and then all the extra cleaning up.  Until today...
          Had a small pork loin in the freezer from my BIL's pig.  Watching John Setzlers video on spinning a pork loin, plus a recent post on the Facebook group made me decide to dig the Joetisserie out again.  Injected it with applesauce/apple juice mixture, slathered in mustard and coated with my wife's cajun spice rub.  After about an hour and 15 minutes of spinning at 325 degrees, we pulled it off and left rest for 10 minutes.  My wife thought I was going to break into tears with my first bite.  Words fail me to describe it.  The subtle flame kissed outside, the juicy inside, so soft you could cut it with a fork!  You can't buy food this good at a restaurant (at least not a restaurant I can afford).  Thanks again John for your excellent video.