Sign in to follow this  
EGGARY

Tri Tip cooked to 195

I know there isn't a wrong or right way to cook.  However, on a Forum I go on concerning Pellet Grills I see Posts of cooking Tri Tips like a Brisket and cooking it to 195.  I have given my opinions on that subject but there are those who choose to cook a Tri Tip to 195.  

Have anyone here cooked a Tri Tip beyond 145 ?  I myself like to pull it at 125-128.  It is what it is.

Personally, I think it's foolish to cook that cut of meat to that temp.  I can't say from experience because I can't get tri tip around here.  

BUT...

I do know meat.

Tri tip is NOT a 'barbecue' meat.  It's NOT high in fat and collagen so it does not need to cook like those meats.  I would personally imagine you would dry it out like leather if you cooked it like that.  

What do I know though....

Just because you read it on the innanets don't make it true!

Consider your sources.  

BTW- which pellet forum are you looking at?  I have been browsing one myself a little since I bought the Traeger...

As John noted, tri-tip doesn't have any tough connective tissue to break down, so why would you cook it that hot? I guess you could try making pulled beef out of it, but that seems like a huge waste of a steak-grade cut of beef to me.

We tend to cook a lot of tri tip here in Northern California, because of the price and availability. John is right on. This is a grill cut, not a BBQ cut. However, I do know people who have taken a bottom round (aka, London Broil) and cooked it in the manner described by Eggery, with success. It would actually be quickly seared/ browned on high heat for a short time, then finished in a Ditch Oven type environment with a lot of liquid, for several hours. It comes out much like a pot roast.

I've had it smoked to high temp and there's a recipe in one of webers books for smoked tritip. I've grilled it myself to medium rare. The time I sampled smoked tip, it tasted good, but not as good as when it's seared and grilled to medium rare.

If someone made smoked tri tip, I'd eat it, but I see no reason to smoke to high temp. I suppose you could smoke and reverse sear to medium rare if you wanted to.

I'm guessing I have probably grilled over 100 Tri-Tips over the past 25+ years. I pull mine at 125*F. I have done both front-end and reverse sears. Both turn out well, but I prefer the front-end sear. IMO they have to be marinated. I avoid the pre-marinated ones as they typically tend to have an "off-taste", like most pre-injected meats do. Here is a simple can't miss recipe and procedure; 

http://www.biggreeneggsperience.com/TriTip.html

post-3565-0-16558900-1386444174_thumb.jp

Edited by andyscalzo

My first tip I ever cooked I actually cooked to 195. Didn't really know any better and didn't have any experience with that cut of meat and I can say that it wasn't my best work! Although pretty tender, it was very dry and basically flavorless. Will never cook it that way again!