Vision Classic - lump air grate modification - simple

Dirkdaddy

It seems a firebox without a "ledge" would burn through more evenly.  That seemed to hold true on my friend's Large BGE.  I've even tried lighting on the edges but it didn't really seem to matter in the end because the coals are going to burn most where the path of the air will flow which is the middle on the Visions. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I did a long cook on a butt the other day and the fire went out after about 8 hours. I noticed a lot of un-burnt Royal Oak lump around the outer edge of the fire bowl and am sure I could have completed the cook had all the fuel burned. I like the idea of raising the CI charcoal grate. I'm into chimp simple modifications - even a monkey could do it...I was thinking of cutting two lengths of re-bar a little bit shorter than the CI grate and simply laying the rods parallel to each other on the bottom edge of the firebox and placing the CI grate on top of those.

Does anybody think this will work or have any other chimp simple mods to accomplish this task? Thanks in advance.

I did a long cook on a butt the other day and the fire went out after about 8 hours. I noticed a lot of un-burnt Royal Oak lump around the outer edge of the fire bowl and am sure I could have completed the cook had all the fuel burned. I like the idea of raising the CI charcoal grate. I'm into chimp simple modifications - even a monkey could do it...I was thinking of cutting two lengths of re-bar a little bit shorter than the CI grate and simply laying the rods parallel to each other on the bottom edge of the firebox and placing the CI grate on top of those.

Does anybody think this will work or have any other chimp simple mods to accomplish this task? Thanks in advance.

Ya don't wanna say it's obvious...but it's obvious... look at the post above yours. 3 or 4 chunks of charcoal under the grate do the exact same thing and they last a few cooks. Low and slow no prob... High heat needs replacements sooner. Try it... It works.

Does anybody think this will work or have any other chimp simple mods to accomplish this task? Thanks in advance.

Ya don't wanna say it's obvious...but it's obvious... look at the post above yours. 3 or 4 chunks of charcoal under the grate do the exact same thing and they last a few cooks. Low and slow no prob... High heat needs replacements sooner. Try it... It works.

Chimp Simple. It just seems that those chunks would burn up...I have some fire brick that I can cut with a tile saw...?

You really don't need to lift your grate off the bottom, all you need to do is when you pile your lump place large pieces over the grate and that will keep the smaller pieces from clogging your grate. It works for me

Chimp Simple. It just seems that those chunks would burn up...I have some fire brick that I can cut with a tile saw...?
Try it you'd be surprised. And it's free. And yup firebricks would do the same. For me I just wasn't going to use stainless rod and bolts etc. as JaxxQ said its not really required. It does give slightly better airflow at the lump can also lean against the grate vs just on it. So it's beneficial for multiple cooks vs a nice clean load.

I have seen a few people that have ditched their Vision grate and gone to the Kick Ash Basket to solve this issue. I have considered this as well as It would also make sifting the lump so much easier, anyone that owns one have any pro's and cons to this? I like the mods as well just due to be a DIY guy that likes economical solutions, but sometimes an off the shelf solution works well too.

I have seen a few people that have ditched their Vision grate and gone to the Kick Ash Basket to solve this issue. I have considered this as well as It would also make sifting the lump so much easier, anyone that owns one have any pro's and cons to this? I like the mods as well just due to be a DIY guy that likes economical solutions, but sometimes an off the shelf solution works well too.

Good idea but is it worth 50 bucks plus shipping? I guess price is relative to some...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the spacers beneath the grate it looks it me like you would need to empty the unused lump and then remove the grate and do your cleanup. Otherwise this new gap will just fill up with ash anyway...correct?

Talk about chimp simple and cheap...Cost only two clams-literally. So, I was eating a delicious bowl of Ciappino last Friday and looked at my pile of discards. The light went on. I simply took two similar small clams about 2" wide and separated them into 4 halves. I placed them evenly opposing each other on the fire bowl bottom and laid the CI grate over them. This lifted the CI grate about 1/4" to 3/8" up off the bottom with plenty of space for air movement. Did a long cook on a Briskey point and the fire lasted well beyond cook time. I didn't measure the cook time but there was a much better burn of fuel. I cleaned the un-burnt fuel and ash out this morning and there were my two clams holding up just fine...