Sign in to follow this  
andyscalzo

Moon Rise Over Pitt @ -12*F

Running the ClassicJOE (out of the frame) in -12*F ambient air temp under a rising half moon. It was -8*F when I lit the kamado and was up to 600*F pitt temp in less than 10 minutes. I find ambient temperature have little, if any, effect on kamados......wind on the other hand, is a different story. We have been below zero with blustery winds for the past several days.  The winds finally subsided today.

post-3565-0-85461900-1386806491_thumb.jp

Edited by andyscalzo

I have seen this statement posted elsewhere, so I can't take credit for originality of the response, but with respect to cracking ceramics in cold temps, it does not make sense. The temperture differential of cooking at 600-800 F from say 50 F, is not that different from 0 or -20 F to 600 F. If you all remember high school chemistry, and if not you should brush up on your chemistry because cooking is basically chemistry, the ceramic, like most matter will not care about scale or units, so we should used degrees kelvin. Water freezes at 273 K and boils at 373 K. Just to keep rambling, it means heating the kamado from 273 to 1000 K is not that different than 373 to 1000 K. The reason we think in terms of degrees F or C is because our bodies are water based and can only stand a small portion of that temp range...

Putting my inner geek away until I get to work...

If ceramic Kamado is going to crack it will be because of unequal expansion or contraction. Someone posted on this site a video of a screaming hot  Kamado that looked like a Vision. In that video they got it screaming hot and threw water all over it and eventfully dumped it full of water and nothing happened.  If a Kamado can survive that with all the uneven cooling then it certainly should survive a trip to 600 from -8.

Marty, you are correct. Does anyone have a link to the video?

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but its the same concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byLPmHtRuEU

Yes this is what i was referring to but it may have been a slightly different video. I tried to search for it but could not find it. Thanks.

I could not believe it when I first saw it. These Kamado's are a lot tougher than I first thought.