post-1-0-90955000-1387145804.jpg

Here it is folks... a really great Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce Recipe!

Ingredients:

4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

Mix the ingredients together and make sure the salt and sugar has dissolved completely.  Store in the fridge for 12-24 hours before use.  Serve at room temperature!

This sauce also makes a fantastic mop/baste for pork while it's cooking.

Video:

I'm sure it's great, but the acidity of those four cups of vinegar would have me reaching for the Prilosec and probably laying awake for nights on end with heart burn. I don't get stomach acid too often, but last time I made a sauce with a high concentration of vinegar (1.5 cups), I told myself never again... Even though it tasted great.

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

White House is the brand I use also... works very well :)

It really depends on the hot sauce. I really like adding habanero sauce to certain sauces. Not too much to make it spicy hot, but it seems to really change the flavor profile of the sauce. If you take an extra hot smoked habanero sauce and ad less than a half teaspoon, it really makes a difference. I add it to my pulled pork rub, just splash, and you can just notice the complex smoky pepper in the background, not enough to make it hot, mind you, just enough to barely notice.

I lived in Lexington NC for a while. There was a BBQ joint that had a little bottle of sauce at each table. The stuff was a perfect compliment to the Lexington style BBQ they served. This weekend I smoked a butt and used the above recipe with a little twist. I did everything as John listed except I substituted 4 tablespoons of Tabasco Smoked Chipotle Pepper Sauce for the hot sauce. It might not be their secrete formula but it was really good!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By connyarv
      This recipe goes very well on a wrap with beef or pork (like on the image) 

Ingredients:   3 dl Mango juice (around 1.2 cup)
      2 dl Cola Zero (around 0.8 cup)
      2 tablespoons mangochutney
      2 tablespoons of Lime (juice)
      1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
      1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
      1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
      3 tablespoons  chicken broth (homemade if have)
      2 teaspoon chili peppers
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 teaspoon onion powder
        Fennel seeds (to taste)
      0.5 - 1 tbsp Butter   Directions:   1. Mix together mango juice, cola zero, mangochutney, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, chilli sauce and rapeseed oil in a suitable saucepan and boil while stirring until it has merged well.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients into the saucepan and then turn it down and let it simmer until it is reduced to 2/3 parts. Finally add 0.5 - 1 tablespoon butter and let it melt down while stir.

3. Remove the sauce and allow it to cool before use, this will also makes it thicker.

4. Enjoy!
        ... So there you go a exotic Tropical BBQ Sauce from Sweden .. please try it and say what you think. I am thinking of translating my page into English too, so I'm looking around and see if there's any interest in this. You can find my original recipe an more images on how i made it in Swedish here https://grilltips.se/grillrecept/saser/tropisk-barbecuesauce 
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By John Setzler
      Man Cave Mustard Recipe:

1 cup whole mustard seeds
      1 cup mustard powder
      2 cups Guinness beer
      1 1/2 cups malt vinegar
      5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
      3 tablespoons honey
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      2 teaspoons salt
      2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
      3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
      1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Place the mustard seeds in a stainless steel mixing bowl and add 1 cup of the malt vinegar and 1/2 cup of the beer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. When you achieve a simmer, add the mustard seeds with their liquid and bring back to a simmer. Let simmer, stirring fairly constantly for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Transfer to mason jars or other air tight containers and refrigerate. This mustard will keep for at least six months in the fridge and probably longer. This recipe makes a little over a pint of finished mustard.

This mustard can be modified from this stage into a lot of different things. If you want a sweet honey mustard, add honey until you achieve the taste you like. If you want a spicier mustard, either add some additional cayenne pepper while simmering or add some prepared horseradish to the mustard after it has cooled.

Enjoy!
    • By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      How to trim them in to St. Louis cut, rubbing them, and cooking them.

Dry Rub:
      2 Tbsp paprika
      1 Tbsp black pepper
      1 Tbsp coarse salt
      1 Tbsp brown sugar
      1/2 Tbsp chili powder
      1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
      1/2 Tbsp onion powder
      1 tsp cayenne.

Rib Sauce: 
      6 oz tomato paste
      6 oz water
      6 oz vinegar (white, cider, or a mixture of both)
      1+ Tbsp molasses
      1+ Tbsp white sugar
      1 tsp chili powder
      1 tsp celery salt
      1 tsp black pepper