• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
John Setzler

Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce

17 posts in this topic

post-1-0-90955000-1387145804.jpg

Here it is folks... a really great Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce Recipe!

Ingredients:

4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

Mix the ingredients together and make sure the salt and sugar has dissolved completely.  Store in the fridge for 12-24 hours before use.  Serve at room temperature!

This sauce also makes a fantastic mop/baste for pork while it's cooking.

Video:

I'm sure it's great, but the acidity of those four cups of vinegar would have me reaching for the Prilosec and probably laying awake for nights on end with heart burn. I don't get stomach acid too often, but last time I made a sauce with a high concentration of vinegar (1.5 cups), I told myself never again... Even though it tasted great.

That's why it's used in rather small quantities.  It packs a lot of flavor with just a little bit of the sauce.  It has a watery consistency so it doesn't really stick to the meat.

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

John Setzler likes this

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

White House is the brand I use also... works very well :)

What kind of hot sauce do you use?

I used some of my homemade smoked cayenne hot sauce but you can use anything you like.  I'd NOT recommend using a fiery hot sauce in this but if you do, I'd suggest sampling it and adjusting from there...

I guess I should have added - what does the hot sauce bring to the mix that the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper don't already?

I guess I should have added - what does the hot sauce bring to the mix that the red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper don't already?

Probably not much other than a little red color to the liquid.

coast2coast likes this

It really depends on the hot sauce. I really like adding habanero sauce to certain sauces. Not too much to make it spicy hot, but it seems to really change the flavor profile of the sauce. If you take an extra hot smoked habanero sauce and ad less than a half teaspoon, it really makes a difference. I add it to my pulled pork rub, just splash, and you can just notice the complex smoky pepper in the background, not enough to make it hot, mind you, just enough to barely notice.

I agree, Ross, but when it comes to habanero, in any form, caution is the word of the day for me. Your advice of less than 1/2 teaspoon is spot on.

I lived in Lexington NC for a while. There was a BBQ joint that had a little bottle of sauce at each table. The stuff was a perfect compliment to the Lexington style BBQ they served. This weekend I smoked a butt and used the above recipe with a little twist. I did everything as John listed except I substituted 4 tablespoons of Tabasco Smoked Chipotle Pepper Sauce for the hot sauce. It might not be their secrete formula but it was really good!

Thanks John.

I'm on this. Any NC BBQ Sauce is worth the effort to try out.

I'll be back with a report.

M.