post-1-0-90955000-1387145804.jpg

Here it is folks... a really great Eastern North Carolina Style BBQ Sauce Recipe!

Ingredients:

4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

Mix the ingredients together and make sure the salt and sugar has dissolved completely.  Store in the fridge for 12-24 hours before use.  Serve at room temperature!

This sauce also makes a fantastic mop/baste for pork while it's cooking.

Video:

I'm sure it's great, but the acidity of those four cups of vinegar would have me reaching for the Prilosec and probably laying awake for nights on end with heart burn. I don't get stomach acid too often, but last time I made a sauce with a high concentration of vinegar (1.5 cups), I told myself never again... Even though it tasted great.

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

On the too try list John, sounds great. I've found different brands (i.e. cheap brands) of vinegar bother my stomach. When eating steamed crabs (big in MD) or using in recipies I only use White House brand, once in a blue moon I've used Heintz in a pinch because WH couldn't be found.

White House is the brand I use also... works very well :)

It really depends on the hot sauce. I really like adding habanero sauce to certain sauces. Not too much to make it spicy hot, but it seems to really change the flavor profile of the sauce. If you take an extra hot smoked habanero sauce and ad less than a half teaspoon, it really makes a difference. I add it to my pulled pork rub, just splash, and you can just notice the complex smoky pepper in the background, not enough to make it hot, mind you, just enough to barely notice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I lived in Lexington NC for a while. There was a BBQ joint that had a little bottle of sauce at each table. The stuff was a perfect compliment to the Lexington style BBQ they served. This weekend I smoked a butt and used the above recipe with a little twist. I did everything as John listed except I substituted 4 tablespoons of Tabasco Smoked Chipotle Pepper Sauce for the hot sauce. It might not be their secrete formula but it was really good!