More than 2 racks of ribs on KJ Classic, how?

Teajunkie

How did you like the KJ compared to the akorn?

I found that it was MUCH more airtight.  My Akorn is quite airtight, really, but the KJ Classic was stellar.  The Classic did use more charcoal than my Akorn, but it seemed to lock in temps much better.  It had less fluctuation in grill temps for sure than my Akorn.  If you're a current owner of an Akorn and are thinking of going with a KJ Classic, I would not think it to be a worthwhile buy.  However, going from an Akorn to a Big Joe or XL BGE would be a definite worthwhile buy.

I did not like the top vent AT ALL.  Every time I lifted the lid on the Classic the top vent closed itself, forcing me to remember where the vent was set before I opened the lid.  That was extremely frustrating.  I understand this happens on the BGEs as well.  On my Akorn I set the top vent to what I want and it stays there, even when opening or closing the lid.  Not so on the KJ Classic.  I really, really disliked that.

Another oddity on the KJ Classic was the tool hooks on the side trays.  The hooks were placed far too close to the wood slats.  It made hooking the grate lifter (that was included with the grill) very difficult.  You couldn't just push or slide the lifter directly onto the hook, because the wood was too close and prevented access.  I had to pretty much make the lifter horizontal, slide it perfectly into the small space between the hook and wood, then lower the lifter tool down over the hook.  It's way harder than it should be!

The KJ Classic is a very good grill, don't misunderstand me.  Just a couple of quirks here and there really frustrated me.  It was a pleasure to cook on, no doubt about it.

Thanks... I am about to jump past the akorn and into the bigjoe world. One suggestion I have seen posted is the the top vent should be lined up so that as one lifts, lifts the lid gravity keeps the wheel in the same position. Make sense?

Thanks... I am about to jump past the akorn and into the bigjoe world. One suggestion I have seen posted is the the top vent should be lined up so that as one lifts, lifts the lid gravity keeps the wheel in the same position. Make sense?

Good deal.  The BigJoe is such a big grill.  I would love to have one.  Ah, I did not think of lining up the daisy wheel's handle with gravity.  Good idea!  I'll do that next time I use my brother's KJ Classic.  Unfortunately, that method would not fix the problem of the larger vent falling out of place.  Maybe if I get a BigJoe I'll just swap its top vent with my Akorn's top vent.  Problem solved.  :)