Educate me on steak cooks...

Ben S

On Tuesday night I will be cooking prime rib eye steaks for my father-in-law's birthday. The way I see iris I have two options, sear first, or sear last. My kamado is still not here as many of you I am sure are tierd of hearing about, but I do have two webber kettles. I am thinking of the following options:

1) reverse sear, cook lowing first, then have a chimney of coals waiting, and sear...

2) I am leaning in favor of sear first, then have the 2nd grill ready for lower heat until med-rare...

Let the opinions fly!

For mid rare, 1.5" thick steaks, get your fire as hot as possible. Salt and pepper only. On the grill, lid on, 3 minutes, lid off 30-45 seconds. Flip, repeat, and now you have really great steaks, and simple to do. This method is way too simple, and the results are excellent!

My technique is different then 5698k's  but I am sure that we are aiming for the same results. I use a probe in thick steaks, stick it in the middle and make sure that it does not angle toward the surface of either side of the steak, as the probe will pick up heat from the grill. I cook mine on a 300 degree grill until I get an IT of 115. At 115 I pull the steak and then open the vents and bring the temp up to 550 - 600 and sear 1 minute to a minute and a half per side depending on thickness.  Always comes out  a perfect medium rare. I bring the steak to room temp by letting it sit out for 45 minutes prior to the cook. I rub the entire steak with olive oil, minced garlic, chopped rosemary, and sprinkle with Montreal Steak blend (I know it's a stock blend, but my wife and I really like it).  I let the steak rest as long as I can stand it, (I am usually hungry). During the rest I put a pat of butter on top of each steak. Always cook with the lid closed. This should work on your weber kettle  and on a gasser. When I am in a hurry I use a weber genesis and put out some pretty high quality steak, IMO. 

Sounds like you have cooked a few steaks in your day with the Webbers so being you have a great cut of meat and a very important guest, do it the way you always have in the past! Why try something new? Stick with what you know! Save the new technique for a sunday when you don't care if it works out. 

I keep it simple and it should only take 10 min for med

Heat grill to 550-600 and drop steaks and close lid. After 2-3 min rotate 1/4 turn. After 5 min flip steaks. After 2-3 min rotate 1/4 turn.  

post-1906-0-01526200-1387600305_thumb.jp

I have 4 1 lb ribeyes sitting in the fridge dry aging. They will have about 5 days of age on them by the time we cook. I am thinking grill A will be cranked up high, for the first sear. Once I have an nice surface, they will move to grill B until the maverick tells me to rest them. I think it will be a salt & pepper rub with an herbed butter rub down on the cutting board. Served with a pile of garlic mashed....yummy

When you do a reverse sear are you doing anything to get your coals nice and high under the grill? Like adding a box after you cook low first?

I'm not sure what you mean by adding a box.

I don't do anything after the low and slow phase but open my vents all the way.

With the vents opened up and the coals already lit from low and slow it does not take very long to get a very hot fire going.

For mid rare, 1.5" thick steaks, get your fire as hot as possible. Salt and pepper only. On the grill, lid on, 3 minutes, lid off 30-45 seconds. Flip, repeat, and now you have really great steaks, and simple to do. This method is way too simple, and the results are excellent!

I saw on one of the Cooking Channels a steak being cooked at 900 degrees in a commercial oven.  My question is at a high temp how long would it take to cook a steak to get to medium rare ?  Your way sounds interesting.  What do you consider "hot as possible"?