Educate me on steak cooks...

Ben S

If the steaks are a pound each, I imagine that are quite thick, you can sear both sides and then move them to indirect heat or, get the grill temp around 400 and cook them at that temp they'll get sear and will cook nicely without being too burn outside and still being raw inside.  I like the steaks when they get a nice salty/sweet crust outside, but if the temp is too high for the thickness of the steak, sometimes the crust will turn too burn and its nasty and bitter. 

For my reverse sear I have the kamado running in the 250 range indirect. When steaks hit 105-110, I pull them and let them rest. While the steaks are resting I open all vents on the kamado. Let hit 650, lower if I am going to use my Grill Grates, open the grill throw the steaks back on, couple minutes a side and don't close the lid. With the lid open all the heat is focused on the outside of the steak. When you close the lid you direct the heat to the inside of the steak.

This technique works best for steaks thicker than one inch. If done correctly you get edge to edge red, if you like medium rare.

In my case, I'm looking for 800* or more. This method only requires one grill, one fire, and it takes less than ten minutes for the whole process. It's the epitome of the KISS method.

On the KK, is it the Top Grill or the Middle Grill ?  Thanks.

I use reverse sear only on thick cuts like 2" pork chops and 2.5-3.0 ribeye.

Totally agree. I usually cut the ribeyes at 1.5" thick. I've reverse seared a few times but find it's more a pain in the rear.

Best to just crank the grill up extra hot direct. I can usually just look at the steak and know how long each side will take. Set a timer and go from there.

If it's 4 mins each side I would time it like this:

2 mins then rotate 90 degrees

2 mins then flip.

Repeat for 2nd side

Never question the timing or you will be eating a medium done steak.

Ok, after all the advice I thought you folks deserve to see the final product. Prime ribeyes from costco, 1 lb each. Dry age for five days in fridge. Rub with canola oil, salt and pepper. On grill high heat for 2 minutes per side then move to the indirect side. Two steaks were medium rare, two were medium, all were loved and devoured.

post-3320-0-20362300-1387937214_thumb.jppost-3320-0-89949000-1387937200_thumb.jppost-3320-0-31014000-1387937232_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't get the reverse sear. With the straight method, steaks on, steaks off, done.

I just got my kamado, so going to be attempting my first steak cook on it today or tomorrow. But before I had one my tired and true method was to basically do a reverse sear in the oven at 200 until it reached about 110, then finish on the stove in cast iron for about a minute and half per side. This method worked GREAT and I always got phenomenal results. If the sear only method can work as well on the Kamado it does seem like a much simpler approach. But I am also very curious to try the reverse sear using the kamado and compare the results.