1st Brisket - Vision Kamado (Costco)

raekit

Well the time had come to venture into Brisket.  I have been experimenting on many other cuts and kinds of meat and the time came.  Needless to say I was a bit intimidated by what I was reading online.  I found the Franklin BBQ Channel on YouTube and it helped a lot.  

Here is the link:

From there I found a great Brisket at Costco this week.  7.25 lbs, the flat was pretty thick and marbled, not too thin...and I thought I would give it a shot.

post-3101-0-57761800-1387590779_thumb.jp

Got it trimmed up.  I took a little fat off the top, but other than that it was good to go.

post-3101-0-87393500-1387590858_thumb.jp

I put on a 50/50 salt and pepper rub with a little of my home town seasoning "Santa Maria Style" Suzie Q....I love this stuff.

post-3101-0-09993200-1387590912_thumb.jp

Put in on the Vision at 250' with my digital dome thermometer.  The thermometer has been a life saver as the dome thermometer is way off.

post-3101-0-88156100-1387591249_thumb.jp

Started too late in the day so I got up at 1:30am to pull it off.  11+ hours later I pulled it off and let it rest.  Pulled it off at an internal temp of 203' after spraying it with apple juice every 3-4 hours as it had a few dry spots.

post-3101-0-72043000-1387591333_thumb.jp

Here is the final result.  I was blown away.  It turned out amazing!!!!!  Good smoke ring from the Pecan wood, incredibly moist and tender.  We had a bunch of it for lunch and loved every bit.  So I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but wow, I was impressed.  The vision did well as well without needing more lump, held temp well.  Great cook!

post-3101-0-06886200-1387591408_thumb.jp

Thanks for looking.  What has been your experience with brisket?  As hard as people make it sound?

Nice job. I did a brisket when I first got my vision and it turned out great. On all my other past smokers the meat would turn out dry but not so with the vision. I've done several this year without much effort and they look a lot like yours with nice bark and moist meat. Thanks for the pics.

Going on three years with my Vision and I have yet to do a brisket. Our local Costcos do not sell them all the time, just certain times like Memorial/Labor/Independence Day weeks. I should check and see if they have them now over the Holidays. I saw one at a local market recently, but it was a Select grade. And the flat looked a little skinny, so I passed it up.

I think the only place here in northern California I would find a decent Choice brisket for a fair price would be Costco. There are some high end meat packing shops over in Petaluma, just down the road. They advertise high end dry aged prime rib and other meats, but I'm sure they don't come cheap.

Talk to the meat department manager & see if he will get them. My Sam's Club sold the worst brisket you could get but it was at a good price. When I talked to him about the quality he said no one buys brisket. He finally ordered 2 cases of USDA choice brisket & he sold them out in 3 days. Now he stocks the Choice brisket.

Yes I did use a heat diffuser, I used the Spider to drop it down and the diffuser from KJoe.  My Costco doesn't normally carry them either, just special cuts/meats in for over the holidays.  They had three in stock and I grabbed one.  Thanks for the feedback.

I did a brisket when I first got my vision. Unfortunately my experience was horrible. It was so dry I chucked most of it. Now I know I could have made chili with it. I have been very reticent to spend another $30 to try again. Your brisket makes me think maybe it is time to try another. Good job.

I did a brisket when I first got my vision. Unfortunately my experience was horrible. It was so dry I chucked most of it. Now I know I could have made chili with it. I have been very reticent to spend another $30 to try again. Your brisket makes me think maybe it is time to try another. Good job.

Try it again but make sure you get Prime or Choice meat.

I've done 25 - 30 briskets that were USDA Choice or Prime & everyone turned out great. Also I've done about a dozen that were Select & half were great & the other half were eatable but not great. 

Buying beef: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/zen_of_beef_grades.html

• 5 weeks later...