Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captndan

Leg quarters

4 posts in this topic

I cook mine indirect until they are almost done (160° internal) and then move them to direct to crisp up the skin. You can season them any way you like. I like to get my seasoning up under the skin for best results. You can also brine them for several hours if you like.

I cook mine indirect until they are almost done (160° internal) and then move them to direct to crisp up the skin. You can season them any way you like. I like to get my seasoning up under the skin for best results. You can also brine them for several hours if you like.

What he said! :D I always brine chicken now, it makes such an incredible difference. I do a pretty simple brine: 1/4 cup sea salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar dissolved in 4 cups of boiling water; which I allow to cool and then add a bit more than four cups of ice to it - which makes about a half gallon of brine; perfect for a whole chicken in a one gallon zip lock bag or a bunch of parts (e.g. thighs, quarters, breasts) in one.

But I also try to get any seasoning or rubs up under the skin as well, otherwise you just have tasty skin!

Mr. BluesDaddy is correct, brining poultry makes a huge difference!

I also use a simple brine almost like his 4/4/4 brine. 4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar.

I never write anything down so all of my recipies are very simple.

I buy leg 1/4's in a 10 lb bag , smoke them all till 160F then eat a few ( seared on grill) & package rest in foodsaver bags for gumbo, chicken cacciatore , chicken soup, all better of made with smoked chicken!