Atomic Buffalo Turds & Moinks!

Although I have done ABT's a # of times over the years... this post inspired me to whoop up about 60 of them for new years eve.  They are always well received by those that like a bit of heat in their appetizers... actually these were pretty hot, as I did not remove all of the seeds :-o

• 1 year later...

Quick question on Moinks... Going to do them the first time tonight for a larger crowd (looking at 40-50 Moinks). I thought the temperature in John's video is a little bit on the low end and I am eying 350ish (maybe a tad more) while reducing the cooking time to about 20-25 minutes. The goal is to crispen up the bacon. Would this work?

Note I don't have the time to do a fancy two stage cook (low and slow and then charring on higher heat). It needs to be easy tonight. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      My wife and I have been cooped up in our house for 2 weeks so we decided to take a drive just to get out. We drove down to Downtown San Diego to see what things were like and found a virtual ghost town.  This video shows us driving up 5th in the Gaslamp District. Normally there would be thousands of people on the sidewalks and bumper to bumper traffic. Pretty surreal!

• By Smokingdadbbq
      In this video, you will find all of the information necessary to properly unbox and assemble your new Kamado Joe Classic III grill.  I didn't think to make a video for the first one, so thought I would share tips I picked up from doing it a second time around.

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By DerHusker
      I had a hankering for some "Wings and Thangs" so I searched the internet for a good appetizer to go with wings.  I came up with one from “Tasty” on YouTube.

I started out with the potato skins as they took the longest. Here are the ingredients:

4 medium large (or 8 smaller) Russet potatoes. Prick w/ fork and bake for 60 minutes at 400 degrees.

Let then cool and cut in half.

Scoop out most of the potato flesh leaving approximately 1/4".

Place them on a baking rack (flesh side up) and coat the flesh with some OO and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Flip after 10)

While they are baking put the flesh of 2 scooped out potatoes into a bowl, add the following and then mix well:
      1/2 cup grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
      1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
      6 oz. of softened Cream Cheese
      2 cups shredded chicken
      1 packet of Ranch Seasoning. (2 tbsp.’s)
      1/2 cup Hot Sauce

Mix well.

Take the potato skins and fill with the potato and chicken mixture.

Top with more grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. (Drizzle with some ranch dressing and some diced green onion and serve)

For the wings I used a recipe from Chef John on Food Wishes. Here are the ingredients:

Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings

Ingredients for 4 portions:
      2 1/2 pounds chicken wing sections (I had 1 ¼ lbs. so I cut these amounts in half)
      1 tbsp kosher salt
      1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
      1 tsp smoked paprika
      2 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
      - Coat wings, and bake at 425 F., turning every 15-20 minutes, until they are browned and crispy. Total cooking time will be about 1 hour, but that depends on the size and temperature of your wings.

On the kamado at 400.

After 15 minutes I flipped them.

While they were cooking I made up the glaze. Here are the ingredients:
      For the Honey Sriracha glaze: (I cut these amounts in half)
      1/3 cup honey
      1/3 cup Sriracha
      1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
      1/4 tsp sesame oil
      sesame seeds to garnish

Here they are ready to be glazed.

Here they are plated up with some ranch dressing, carrots, celery and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin.

Close up of the wings.

Close up of the Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins.

Wings had some nice heat and sweetness to them and the skin was fairly crispy too.

And done!

Yum!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Huskers Aunt (My Niece) sent him a new toy that he loves. He also confiscated Bonnie's toy and was having a blast playing with them so we videoed it. Hope you get a laugh out of it like we did.

Enjoy and thanks for looking.