Mode Red

I got two requests for my definitive, non-experimental Pernil recipe.

Use fresh garlic and fresh oregano. Kosher salt. Fresh cracked black pepper. Use half handful dry Mexican oregano if you can't use fresh. Fresh is key to flavor.

Do not underestimate the potency of this ~exact recipe, please!

~8lb shoulder butt roast, or picnic roast skin lifted on one side to make slits in meat

Large handful fresh oregano, chopped

8 garlic cloves, smashed and minced

1 1/2 tsp chopped onion

8 tsp Kosher salt

2 tbs coarsely ground black pepper

6 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar and/or fresh lemon juice combo

Prep kamado for 350 degree cooking using lump charcoal and no smoking wood. Use a little mild wood if you just have to.

Mash together oregano, garlic, onion, salt and pepper with mortar and pestle really good. Put in a container. Pour in the oil, vinegar/juice then seal and shake together good.

Put the roast in your roasting pan. Make deep slits in all sides of roast and push marinade in. Make lots of shallow cuts all over the roast really good as well. Just jab that knife around! Go ahead and rub the remaining marinade all over the roast into every crevice. Leave all the marinade in the pan with the roast. Lightly dry skin of the roast and sprinkle kosher salt on the skin. Let roast come to room temp 1 hr while it marinates.

Roast at 350 in the pan in your kamado until it reaches 190-192, basting with its own fat/juices and some Sprite once or twice for crispiness.

Make sure you rest the roast tented in foil for an hour or your texture will be screwed.

This is the most traditional full flavor/texture result you could hope to achieve for a wedding pernil. Inject with orange juice mixed with a little marinade before roasting to get more tropical.

I got two requests for my definitive, non-experimental Pernil recipe.

Use fresh garlic and fresh oregano. Kosher salt. Fresh cracked black pepper. Use half handful dry Mexican oregano if you can't use fresh. Fresh is key to flavor.

Do not underestimate the potency of this ~exact recipe, please!

~8lb shoulder butt roast, or picnic roast skin lifted on one side to make slits in meat

Large handful fresh oregano, chopped

8 garlic cloves, smashed and minced

1 1/2 tsp chopped onion

8 tsp Kosher salt

2 tbs coarsely ground black pepper

6 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar and/or fresh lemon juice combo

Prep kamado for 350 degree cooking using lump charcoal and no smoking wood. Use a little mild wood if you just have to.

Mash together oregano, garlic, onion, salt and pepper with mortar and pestle really good. Put in a container. Pour in the oil, vinegar/juice then seal and shake together good.

Put the roast in your roasting pan. Make deep slits in all sides of roast and push marinade in. Make lots of shallow cuts all over the roast really good as well. Just jab that knife around! Go ahead and rub the remaining marinade all over the roast into every crevice. Leave all the marinade in the pan with the roast. Lightly dry skin of the roast and sprinkle kosher salt on the skin. Let roast come to room temp 1 hr while it marinates.

Roast at 350 in the pan in your kamado until it reaches 190-192, basting with its own fat/juices and some Sprite once or twice for crispiness.

Make sure you rest the roast tented in foil for an hour or your texture will be screwed.

This is the most traditional full flavor/texture result you could hope to achieve for a wedding pernil. Inject with orange juice mixed with a little marinade before roasting to get more tropical.

I love Pernil and  this looks similar to the recipe that I have tried. When I stabbed it all over and pushed the Daisy Martinez's version deep into stab holes in the pork and let it sit for a couple of days as recommended I go t very strong raw garlic effect that i did not quite like so I know that you are right about not under estimating the power. I have had good results in using the blender or food processor to better combine the raw garlic.

I love Pernil and this looks similar to the recipe that I have tried. When I stabbed it all over and pushed the Daisy Martinez's version deep into stab holes in the pork and let it sit for a couple of days as recommended I go t very strong raw garlic effect that i did not quite like so I know that you are right about not under estimating the power. I have had good results in using the blender or food processor to better combine the raw garlic.

No offense to Daisy, but I have made pernil over 50 times using an exhaustive variey of methods and ingredients that I know by heart and many I haven't tried yet. I can almost read a pernil recipe and taste it without cooking it. This recipe is better. She uses too little salt, and too much garlic for such a small piece of meat getting marinated for three days.

Garlic clove sizes vary, and I always use the largest cloves I can, or just use a couple extra. The onion in my recipe is meant to be a hidden gem. Mash everything to paste well and shake or wisk the marinade together fiercely. You should then taste it. It should be salty enough for crust but not so salty as to need a big chunk of meat with the crust to enjoy it. That's why all the deliberate slitting and rubbing is done -to increase the surface area of the crust while also getting flavor through the meat. So, when applying the marinade, make sure to get all the little bits into the slits, nooks and crannies. I would not marinate for more than one day using this method.