First of 2014 will be?

I did the chicken and ribs today over pecan wood and I must say, if you've not done a pork or chicken cook with some good pecan wood, you need to do that in 2014! The flavor is just so much better over any other smoke wood I have used. My BIL brought me a few sticks off his pecan tree a couple weeks ago and I have done some ribs, a turkey, and some chicken with it and it's just out of this world. Next on my list is some fresh peach wood, he's got a peach tree in the backyard I'll be getting some trimmings off of hopefully in the very near future.

Food smelled so good, I didn't even get a chance to snap a pic! I did the ribs Memphis style; dusted with Bad Byron's, brushed them with a little melted butter at the 2 hour mark, then more butter and brown sugar at about 3.5 hours. That final butter/sugar rub set up as a nice glaze and sauce wasn't even a necessity. As for the chicken, I did the usual spatchcocked bird with traditional seasonings and a butter baste. Hardly a trace of leftovers was to be had! I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Years day. Now I get a little holiday cooking break until spring!

Did a pork loin with a small handful of apple chips, used APL' s brine and rub from his pork loin recipe in "Serious BBQ" (slightly modified), then glazed with a Jack Daniels/peach/mustard glaze recipe I found online from Southern Living, served with Hoppin' John and bacon/cheddar/jalapeno corn muffins.

First cook with the new Auber, need to work a little more at starting fire and dialing in temp with it. Pork came out good, though.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk2

Doing some pork spares and a spatchcock chicken today. Weather is sunny and clear, couldn't ask for a better day, Happy 2014!

MC - How did the spatchcock chicken turn out? I really like the technique but never think to do it for some reason.

Doing some pork spares and a spatchcock chicken today. Weather is sunny and clear, couldn't ask for a better day, Happy 2014!

MC - How did the spatchcock chicken turn out? I really like the technique but never think to do it for some reason.

It was great and spatchcocking has become my go to method for cooking a whole chicken. See my post above about the pecan wood! At first it seems a little intimidating to cut the bird up but if you have any experience cutting your own meat, it's not such a big deal and really goes a lot faster than cutting up the whole bird. I finally found a proper use for those poultry shears in the butcher block! By the end of the 45 minute cook, the bird is almost falling off the bone so carving it up is about as easy as it gets, a lot of times I just slice it up with my serrated spatchula after I pull it from the Kamado. I encourage anyone to try the method at least once.

It was great and spatchcocking has become my go to method for cooking a whole chicken. See my post above about the pecan wood! At first it seems a little intimidating to cut the bird up but if you have any experience cutting your own meat, it's not such a big deal and really goes a lot faster than cutting up the whole bird. By the end of the 45 minute cook, the bird is almost falling off the bone so carving it up is about as easy as it gets, a lot of times I just slice it up with my serrated spatchula after I pull it from the Kamado. I encourage anyone to try the method at least once.

Second that - now that I've started spatchcocking, I can't see cooking a whole bird using any other method.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk2

It was great and spatchcocking has become my go to method for cooking a whole chicken. See my post above about the pecan wood! At first it seems a little intimidating to cut the bird up but if you have any experience cutting your own meat, it's not such a big deal and really goes a lot faster than cutting up the whole bird. I finally found a proper use for those poultry shears in the butcher block! By the end of the 45 minute cook, the bird is almost falling off the bone so carving it up is about as easy as it gets, a lot of times I just slice it up with my serrated spatchula after I pull it from the Kamado. I encourage anyone to try the method at least once.

MC - I'm old school when it comes to butchering a chicken. Poultry shears seems like cheating. LOL

Glad to hear they turned out well for you.

MC - I'm old school when it comes to butchering a chicken. Poultry shears seems like cheating. LOL

Glad to hear they turned out well for you.

I was the same way, I grew up on a farm and we butchered our own hogs, turkeys, chickens, and processed our own deer with knives. It wasn't until I got the kamado and started looking at videos and different cooking methods that I started trying these new techniques. Honestly, I really like doing things in a manner that saves me time on prep because that gives me more time to focus on other aspects of the cook or cook other stuff at the same time.