Sign in to follow this  
DerHusker

Smoked Jalepeño Bacon Cream Cheese Pie w/ Raspberry Chipotle Topping

Here are most of the ingredients.

39132413675_a06d5ae471_z.jpg

Start by making up some graham cracker crust.

Ingredients:

1 package graham crackers

6 tbsp. melted butter

1/3 cup sugar

¼ tsp. cinnamon

12 slices bacon

4 jalapeños sliced into rings

Start by putting 1 package of graham crackers into a food processor to make crumbs. Now add the sugar and cinnamon and blend. Pour this into a mixing bowl and add the melted butter and mix until blended.

After smearing my CI pie pan with some butter flavored Crisco I press in the crust.

39132406245_262ea7d0ee_z.jpg[/url 

39132402195_dbe9b91361_z.jpg

Made up a bacon weave and placed it on the kamado.

39320444464_110d54efb6_z.jpg

26157651858_c94724a069_z.jpg

Because I couldn’t flip the weave I placed my bacon press on the burner for 10 minutes. After it’s smoking hot I placed it on top of the weave.

26157649638_4ffdbfba2a_z.jpg

26157647138_7ae279e9a1_z.jpg

While that cooks I prep my jalapeños.

39132409885_f0b2c824cd_z.jpg

26157643988_105e7e18b7_z.jpg

On the grill they go for 15 minutes along with the pie crust for 7 minutes at 350.

26157641628_f5392ac606_z.jpg

After the weave is cooked I place it in the bottom of the pie crust.

26157639258_a385ba8347_z.jpg

26157635438_9caba40aac_z.jpg

Then the smoked jalapeño rings.

39320440954_4db3c50844_z.jpg

Now I make up the cream cheese pie filling.

39320436994_ac20e87b57_z.jpg

Ingredients:

4 pkgs. (8 oz. size) cream cheese, softened

1 2/3 cups sugar

2 eggs

¼ cup cornstarch

3 tsp. vanilla

¾ cup heavy cream

To make filling: In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until very creamy. Add in the sugar and cornstarch gradually while beating at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time until completely mixed in. Add the vanilla and heavy cream and blend together. Pour into pie shell and bake at 350° for 35 – 40 minutes or until pie is set (may still jiggle slightly in the middle). Let cool on wire rack and then in the fridge to firm it up.

39320432194_337629c2aa_z.jpg

Now the pie goes into the kamado for 40 minutes at 350.

39320429914_b997e816a4_z.jpg

Here is the result.

39320427964_d21348b5f2_z.jpg

39320426264_8133471b60_z.jpg

Now the Topping.

Ingredients:

1 cup raspberries

1 cup sugar

¼ cup cornstarch

2 tbsp. raspberry chipotle sauce (from Costco)

2 tsp. finely chopped jalapeños (without seeds)

½ cup water

2 jalapeños sliced length wise into quarters

To make topping: Crush the raspberries in a small saucepan. (Hold back at least 9 for decoration) Add to the raspberries the sugar, cornstarch and raspberry chipotle sauce and blend well. Stir in the water and jalapeños. Cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

After letting the pie cool to room temp and then in the fridge I spread on the cooled Raspberry Jalapeño topping mixture and top with jalapeños and raspberries.

26157660448_c4253d2b33_z.jpg

26157657218_51e91fdb0f_z.jpg

And decorate.

39320470744_00321131ae_b.jpg

39320477674_d2b87b28c0_b.jpg

Plated shots.

26157809798_810c14dca2_b.jpg

39132490275_84f7435a9c_b.jpg

39132484895_0249d3b490_b.jpg

39132481645_4e1b5a8f23_b.jpg

Observations:

1. There were definite layers of flavor as I took a bite. At first it tastes pretty much like a standard cream cheese pie with fruit topping but shortly thereafter you get some of the Chipotle in the topping followed by the jalapeños and ending with the bacon. I was going for an ABT type of flavor and where it wasn’t exactly like an ABT it was a very good and unique flavor.
  2. My wife liked it but would have preferred that I leave the bacon (not much of a meat eater) and the jalepeño out of the bottom and just had the spicy sweet topping. It would have been good this way but the layers of flavor wouldn’t have been there. 

I'm speechless......this is an amazing.....unreal.....thread.  

You, sir, have achieved a new level of wizardry.  

I must give this bad boy a run.  I'm scared if I do, though, my wife will be mad that I've been holding out on her all these years.  :)

Amazing.

This I think I would really like. It is so different and gorgeous. We enjoy jalapeño poppers so much I think I ought to make this. I'm sure his son wont eat it, so probably have to make him something else. Very creative. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Wanted to start Super Bowl Sunday out right. I decided on Huevos Rancheros.
      Started out making the sauce by sautéing some onions and bell pepper.

Once they had started to wilt, I added a can of diced tomato.

After that had cooked for a few minutes, I added a small can of rojas enchilada sauce and let this simmer for 15 minutes.

After the sauce was done, I cooked up some potatoes. (While these were cooking, I cooked up some black beans inside)

Grilled up some tortillas.

And finally cooked up some eggs. (these were for the wife’s dish)

With everything ready, I plated it up. Here are these pics served up with some orange juice and coffee.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I’ve been using these basic whetstones that I purchased a few years ago. I believe both stones ran me under $55.00.

They work fairly well, but are a little on the small side, so I’ve been wanting to upgrade. I had a mess of Amazon gift cards so I looked to see what I could get. The first thing I purchased for my kit was a pet food mat that will serve as my work station. If I want to sharpen in the house, I need something to contain any water or slurry from making its way onto the countertop. This is a 24” x 16” silicone mat with a ½” lip and little raised nubs to keep things from sliding around.

Next were the stones and a holder. The Suehiro brand of whetstones seemed to have excellent reviews on both Amazon and Youtube so they are what I purchased for most of them. From left to right they are a Suehiro Cerax 320 grit,  Suehiro Cerax 1000 grit, Atoma Diamond 140 coarse flattening stone, Suehiro Rika 5000 and a Kiyayama 8000 grit finishing stone.

This picture shows the stone holder in the middle.

Here’s a size comparison shot between the old stones and the new stones.

Here’s a close up picture of the Kitayama 8000 stone.

Here’s a picture of my soaking pond with the mat rolled up next to it.

And finally all the stones and the holder in the container.

I just sharpened most of my knives on the old stones. I’m now going to try sharping one on the new stones to see if there is any difference. I’ll let you all know what I find out.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

before blowing out the flame.

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

I took them out of their wrappers.

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

An hour later it looked like this.

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years, know this is the time of year that I go full Griswold. Here’s a pic of my house from a few years ago.

It gets a little bigger every year. This year I rented a boom to put lights up in our 50’ tall Italian Cypress you can see to the left of our garage. (Sorry no photo of it this year)

Anyway, as is our family’s tradition, we host everyone on Christmas Eve for dinner and presents. In attendance were my two brothers that live here in California. They came down from the L.A. area along with my niece, my nephew and his fiancé. (in addition to my wife and I) We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Ham, then Turkey, then a nice Ribeye Roast. We hadn’t had Ham since 2016 so we settled on that.

We were quite busy making all the dinner and fixing’s, so I didn’t have a lot of time to take a whole lot of photos but here are the few that I did get. Here’s the ham on the kamado for the first few hours at 275.

Here’s a pic of the stove with the beans, carrots, potatoes and gravy on top. (Green Bean Casserole and biscuits in the oven)

Here’s the ham after the 2 hours in foil with the pineapple and cherries added for another 10 minutes at 425.

Here’s the ham on the table waiting for the rest of the fixings to join it. (It’s funny but I didn’t realize that this is almost the exact same photo from 2016)

Here’s everyone waiting to dig in.

Here the one photo I got of the food and table. (As you can see we broke out our finest plastic cups for this dinner )

Here’s what everyone looked like when I asked if they could wait for me to take more / better photos of the food.

Everything was delicious and we had a great time that evening.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking.