• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s favorite and I like to cook things she’ll like, most of the time , so I cooked up some Chichen Shawarma. Started out by skinning and de-boning some chicken thighs that I had thawed out. I cut each in half and set them aside in the fridge.

I now got out the ingredients for a yogurt based Sharwarma marinade.

Everybody in the pool

and gave it a good spin with the whisk.

I then put the chicken thighs in and stirred it up to get complete coverage on all surfaces.

I then covered the bowl with plastic wrap and placed them in the fridge to rest overnight. Now I made up a batch of Tzatziki.

Link to recipes:

The next day I broke out my vertical spit.

And loaded it up with the Shawarma and topped it with a nice thick slice of red onion

After I had preheated my kamado up to 325 for 1/2 hour I put the Shawarma in.

I checked on it after about 25 minutes and knew it could go much longer.

After about 1 hour I started getting everything ready. I cut up my veggies

and got the Tzatziki out.

I also set up my craving station.

Once the Shawarma developed some char on it, I removed it and sliced off the outer layer and then placed it back in the kamado.

I warmed up some flat bread and spooned on some Tzatziki and then made up some Shawarma Sammi’s.

Here they are served street food style with a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin and some mandarin orange slices.

SO GOOD!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      With the “Just Stuff It!” Challenge going on I searched for what might be on sale at one of the local stores. Sprouts had U15 shrimp on sale for $7.98 per lb. so I purchased a pound. I decided to prepare  them my two favorite ways of cooking shrimp. The first is what I call Atomic Shrimp. (Which is bacon wrapped shrimp stuffed with cheddar cheese and a slice of jalapeño. As the jalapeño doesn’t make it very “Atomic”, I switched it out for slices of serrano chilies.  Here are most of the ingredients.

I peeled and deveined the shrimp and then butterflied them. I also sliced the cheese and serrano chilies.

I carefully placed the cheese and serrano in the shrimp and wrapped them with a slice of bacon. Once I had 10 of them done I placed them on the preheated kamado.

I grilled them for approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side and once the bacon looked crispy I plated the 5 biggest ones up with a cilantro garnish and a Negra Modelo. Here are those pics.

Delicious!!!!!

I had 9 shrimp leftover so I skewered them,

sprayed they with some EVOO and sprinkled them with some Tajin seasoning.

Grilled them for approximately 3 minutes per side.

Here are the plated pics with the Negra Modelo.

These were also delicious but not quite as good as the bacon wrapped ones.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      I love Tacos al pastor but have never made them myself. They are a popular street food here in SoCal and Mexico and I finally decided to try my hand at making some. Forgive me as this is a long one.

I started out by thawing a Pork Butt I had in the freezer that I had purchased on sale for $.99 a lb. (7.93 lbs.)

I unwrapped it and found there was still some ice crystals on it. (which is what I was hoping for to make cutting it easier)

I cut it in half and deboned the other half.

I proceeded to cut it all up into approximately 3/8” slices.

I placed this into a large container, covered it and placed it into the fridge. I now gathered up the ingredients for the al pastor marinade.

Here’s the recipe I used. (It’s a combination of several recipes I watched on YouTube) Not shown in the picture are the pineapple juice and the vinegar.

8 lb bone-in pork shoulder (deboned)

4 tablespoons achiote paste (I used 1 – 3.5 oz. brick)

2 guajillo peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

2 ancho peppers (seeded and re-hydrated)

3 Chipotle peppers + all the adobo sauce from 1 - 7 oz. can

5 garlic cloves

¼ small white or yellow onion

1 oz. Piloncillo (substitute brown sugar if you can find it)

1 tbsp. dried oregano (preferably Mexican)

1 tbsp. cumin                                                                            

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

1 tsp. cinnamon (preferably Mexican)

1 tsp, cloves

½ cup pineapple juice

½ cup white vinegar

¼ cup OO

¼ cup of the water from re-hydrating the peppers

¼ cup orange juice

¼ cup lime juice

1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds (for the spit/trompo)

(Note: I only had some small guajillo chiles so I used 6 of them)

Everybody went into the pool for a spin.

I poured some marinade into the bottom of a very large bowl and then some pork slices.

I repeated this process until all the pork was in the bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the top. I then stirred it until everything had a nice coating.

Now how will I cook this? Tacos al pastor is a dish developed in central Mexico that is based on shawarma spit grilled meat brought by Lebanese immigrants. It is traditionally cooked on a vertical spit known as a trompo. I don’t have such an exotic grill, so I had to improvise. I had found this indoor grill plate at a local thrift store for $2.17

and used it to create a vertical spit.

I now peeled and sliced up the pineapple

And started my vertical trompo stack adding a slice of pineapple and red onion after every 6 or 7 layers of meat.

I place the stack in the center of my weber redhead with coals all around it.

I then setup my craving station.

Here it is after approximately 30 minutes.

After approximately 75 minutes I removed the trompo and craved off the outer charred layer. (The char is an important part of the taste profile)

I then placed the trompo back in the redhead to char the outside again.

So pretty!

I then repeated the process another 3 times.

After I had trimmed off the outside 3 times I set up my taco cart errrr bar

and started to assemble my street taco plate.

Oh Yum!

Here it is served up with a Modelo Especial.

This was a little on the spicy side but oh so delicious!         

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      The same day I cooked my Ribeye

I also grilled up some chicken thighs for my wife and sister in-law.
      I had purchased a 1.5 cubic foot bag of almond wood. I pulled out 5 nice looking pieces to make the fire with.

I lit up a small chimney of smallish lump pieces and dumped this into my fire pit to start up the almond logs.

I then placed the almond logs on top and waited for them to start burning.

While I was waiting I seasoned up some chicken thighs

and some asparagus spears.

I placed the potatoes on first. Then the asparagus over the fire for a while to give them a little head start. I then moved them back into the foil tray to finish up and placed on the thighs.

Flipping the thighs every 3 to 4 minutes until they were at 160 it.

No plated shots as I was eating the steak.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      So one of my local markets had Rib Roasts on sale. I decided pick one up and cut some Ribeye Steaks off it.

I unwrapped it and cut the twine holding on the bones

and removed them.

I cut 3 2” steaks and the end piece ended up at approximately 1.5”. (I chose the second one from the right to cook)

I seasoned it with some Primo Chicago Stockyard Dry Rub. I wrapped this in plastic wrap and let it rest for 4 hours.

I had made a fire using some almond wood in our fire pit. After it was nice and hot I placed the steak over the flames.

After approximately 1.5 minutes I flipped it.

After another 1.5 minutes I moved over to the other side of the grill an let it come up to an IT of 130 degrees. I then brought it inside and let it rest on the counter for 8 minutes.

I then sliced it in half.

I then sliced it into approximately 3/8” slices and plated it up with some asparagus, a baked potato and a Stone Coffee Milk Stout.

It was delicious.

Thanks for looking.