Kamado Jo lump

Paul

I like the kamado Jo lump and I must say it is one of the best I have used. Except for one thing

I have found foreign material in all the lump I have tried and they seem to be the same kind of rock or brick. But today I found the biggest piece inside the kamado Jo lump that I have come across

It is also 2 inches deep so at one time I believe it was a brick

I am not complaining about it cuz like I said I have found material in all the lump brands I have tried and this is only the first piece I have found in three bags so far I just have to remind myself to look before I throw on the fire

post-2186-0-10368700-1389656210_thumb.jp

Pieces of rock, cement and brick  pose no problems in the charcoal. The most I have ever found  pieces of rock or cement three or four times  and a piece of brick and a small piece of metal once. That's in over 25 years of using lump.  Most manufacturers fill their bags 2 > 5% over the posted bag weight, so even if you toss out a foreign piece of aggregate you're still ahead of the game. I produced my own lump for a while years ago and frankly got bored  and tired of it.  I burn on an average of 40 > 50 pounds a month so it's not even feasible for me to do, nor do I have the desire. That being said, it is nice to be able to produce it if necessary and it is easy to do.

Edited by andyscalzo

I'm sure it is part of a brick. My guess it is from either the side or the floor of the kiln. They go in them with big front end loaders to scoop out the carbonized wood, and some times will pick up some broken concrete or brick.

Thanks Andy, that really makes sense now that I think about it most of the foreign material I have found appeared to be the same rock (brick now that I know better)

Have you ever toured one of the processing plants?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Saw this in Kroger a while back. Then I saw it on Shark Tank. Anybody tried it?
      Sustainable Hardwood Charcoal Briquettes – Prime 6 (prime-six.com)
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By pmillen
      This isn't a complete product review...yet.  I haven't burned any of these but I will soon and will add to this thread.  Hopefully other users will also add their thoughts.

I'm sometimes annoyed at lump charcoal because of either the–
      small shards that pack too tight or fall unburned into my Masterbuilt 1050's ash bin huge chunks that sometimes reduce the heat produced Briquettes don't usually work out for me because they–
      make more ash than I want usually can't be relit after snuffing
      Jealous Devil introduced a line of extra large briquettes.  Their web site describes them as, "The same incredibly dense hardwood we use to make our lump charcoal – plus a pinch of plant-derived starch (that is it – Yes, really)."  They go in to say that the briquettes have, "Extremely low ash production."

They're certainly larger than Kingsford Originals, and much thicker.  I didn't weigh them.

My first use will be in my Masterbuilt 1050.  I'll report back on that.
    • By pmillen
      I may like this unit a lot.  I hope to find an unbiased review.
    • By American Moriyama
      I recently picked up 3 boxes of Forest Lumps charcoal at a KCBS event here in town and the vendor told me that this was a great Beechwood charcoal from Europe. It rated highly recommended on the Naked Wiz site. It lit very fast and seemed to burn well, but it produced a lot of smoke. This is the first charcoal that I have purchased that was not from either Walmart or HD and am not sure why or if this product is better. Has anyone tried this lump?