Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pmillen
      Ingredients
        1   New York Striploin
      ~1  Cup of beef rub, your choice (I used Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub)
      ~½ Cup of Worcestershire sauce (you’ll need enough to make a paste of a consistency that you like)

Directions

Trim all of the fat and silverskin from the loin so that the rub will reach the meat. Mix the rub and Worcestershire sauce to a paste consistency that easily spreads and adheres to the loin. Liberally apply the rub paste to the loin’s top, bottom and sides. Wrap the loin in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat the smoker to 225°F. Remove the New York Striploin from the refrigerator and remove the plastic wrap. Dust the loin again with the beef rub. Roll the loin when the internal temperature (IT) reaches 60°F.  (Optional) Pull the loin when the internal temperature reaches 120°F. Reverse sear the loin on all sides for about 15 minutes total.  Do not allow the IT to exceed your desired serving temperature minus about 7°F. Rest the roast about 10 minutes, carve and serve.  
      NOTE:  I use a different rub almost every time I smoke-roast beef.  As listed, this time I used Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub.  All 9 family members, who regularly eat my smoke-roasted beef, said that this is the best ever.  I agree.  Oh, it's goooood.

I thumbed through the Striploins.  This looked like the best selection.  Fourteen pounds.

This is what it looked like out of the cryovac.  Not bad.

This is what the hidden side looked like.  I wanted to trim it down to the bare meat to ensure good rub coverage.

The fat side after trimming.  I nicked this one up pretty good when I got a bit frustrated (very sharp knife).

Three and a half pounds of trimmings that I rendered into tallow.

Into the MasterBuilt 1050.

It was quite good.  I'm going to try Pappy’s Prime Rib Rub on other cuts.  I may have found the rub I stay with.
    • By daninpd
      I was doing some research for this months challenge... okay, okay, I was just watching TV- but it was a cooking show, and the chef on the show was making Pozole Rojo, a red pork stew.  As I watched the show I realized the stew gets a lot of garnishes and condiments, but basically only has 5 ingredients: Pork, Dried Chiles, Hominy, Onion and Garlic.  Talk about a "Well, Duh!" moment.  So I made it.  I used garlic powder from the spice rack to be able to add one garnish  (red cabbage) and let the white onion do double duty, both in the stew and chopped fine for a garnish.  I used a package of pork necks and roasted them at 400 for an hour in the Joe to get a little color, then put them in a Dutch oven with water to cover and let that go overnight at 250 covered in the Joe to make a rich pork stock.  The next day I strained and refrigerated the stock so I could skim off the hardened fat. The rest of the recipe:
      1-1/2 to 2 lbs pork shoulder cut into chunks for stew
      4 oz dried Pasilla Peppers
      1 tsp cumin
      1 tsp garlic powder
      1 tsp Oregano
      1 30 oz can White Hominy drained and rinsed
      1 large white onion diced medium

Destem and deseed the chiles (I included a picture of the seeds from one Pasilla- you don't want the seeds in your sauce) and put them in a bowl and pour in 4 cups of boiling water and let that sit for 30 minutes or so.  Put the chiles and some of the water in a blender and blend, adding water as needed to get a pourable sauce.  Combine all ingredients in the Dutch oven with the defatted pork stock.  Bring to a simmer then cover and cook 4 hours at 250. I left it uncovered a lot of the time to get it to thicken more.  After 4 hours this is a tasty stew.  Typical garnishes are cabbage, avocado, thinly sliced radishes, crema, minced onions, cilantro and fried corn tortillas.

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado People,
      I have been smoking for about 2 years now and I have never tried a pork roast style cook and beside whenever I have done pork roasts I have not got the crackling right and this is critical.
      So I decided to research a little and found heaps of methods out there, anyway I was stuck on three types 1. Continuous apply of vinegar, 2. Apply lots of salt to fat/skin, boiling water. All of these have the requirement of putting the pork into the kamado at a very hot temperature for around 30-40 mintues before dropping temperature to normal roasting temp of around 180/200°C.
      All of the above are required to have a dry roast, not fresh out of the plastic pack , best left overnight. At the last minute I decided to go with boiling water pouring over the fat and then right away into the hot kamado mine was at about 250/270°C range with one chunk of cheery, had no apple in the shed.
      Any how after 30min I closed the vents and the temp started to drop. Once at 180°C I left her there until internal reached 75°C and wow wow what a beauty. Moist and perfect crackling. Salt was needed to be added though.  

• By philpom
      they've been on for a bit, cruising at 215°f.  Going to finish each one differently but still debating the details.

• By HokieOC
      This weekend I'm attempting my first dual-cook, a pork shoulder/butt and a brisket flat.  I have a KJ Classic and an Akorn Jr, so I could do the pork on the Junior and brisket on the classic and not worry about it.  But for the sake of only using one grill for two things that cook generally the same in terms of temp (also admittedly, I just kinda want to try it), I'm planning to use the extender rack on the KJ, put the butt on that then add the flat under it a few hours later as I'm anticipating less time for the flat than the butt (Never done just a flat, only packers, but I think the flats take less time?).  

Has anyone ever done this?  My only concern is the butt dripping fat all over the brisket, not sure if that will change the flavor or get it all greasy and it's a big no-no?  Or will it not mess with the flat at all and if anything make it better from dripping fat all over it and keeping it from drying out?

Thanks!