STUFFED ROASTED POBLANO PEPPERS RELLENO CASSEROLE - A COMPLETE KAMADO COOK!

Smokehowze

STUFFED ROASTED POBLANO PEPPERS RELLENO CASSEROLE WITH SMOKED & SEASONED GROUND TURKEY, CHEDDAR & QUESO FRESCO CHEESES & CHIPOTLE SAUCE – A COMPLETE KAMADO COOK!

I am suffering through a diet but had a craving for “chili relleno”.   So rather than do the traditional relleno that is battered and fried, I decided to create STUFFED POBLANO PEPPER RELLENO –KAMADO STYLE and developed this original recipe for a stuffed poblano casserole that incorporates ground turkey. I want to thank my son for being my sous chef and offering his excellent suggestions as we put this meal together.

The entire meal was cooked on Big (Red) Joe and thus has the extra richness of a good smoke element. 

This recipe is actually very easy to prepare (but take some time if all steps are sequentially done in the Kamado) however being a casserole it could be prepared ahead of time with regard to cooking the basic ingredients and putting the dish together – then the final cook would be fairly quick.

The casserole recipe is for 9-10 nicely sized poblano peppers.   As a main meal the serving size is 1 or 2 peppers per person, hence the full dish will serve three or four people with leftovers or probably even 8 people if served with some additional sides. 

The flavors are fantastic, with a nice spiciness but not too much “heat” and the smoke touch just brings the dish to another level.  The combination of the turkey and its seasonings, plus the two types of cheese and the chipotle sauce along with the nice poblano pepper flavor is “melt in your mouth goodness”.

Here are the teaser photos:

THIS IS GONNA BE SO GOOD!

0-STUFFEDPOBLANOPEPPER_zps52cb84e1.jpg

WE ARE READY TO MIX THE FILLING FOR THE POBLANOS AND GET TO STUFFIN!

6-PEPPERS-CHEESES-MEAT-SAUCE_zpsfdd91457

NICE STUFFED POBLANO PEPPER ISN'T IT?

8B-GETTINGTHEMSTUFFED_zps16eb7e42.jpg

THE FINISHED CASSEROLE AFTER BAKING

12-DONE_zps2621e7f0.jpg

Full photo set of the entire cook is here:

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/smokehowze/library/Stuffed%20Poblano%20Pepper%20Casserole%201-24-14

THE RECIPE:

Main Ingredients

• 9 -10 fresh nicely sized poblano peppers
  • 2 lbs ground turkey
  • 12 to 15 ounces grated cheddar cheese
  • 12 to 15 ounces grated or finely crumbled queso fresco Mexican cheese
  • 2 cans (7 ounces each) chipotle pepper sauce (I used a San Marcos brand)

Seasoning for the ground turkey:

• 1 medium or large onion (fine chopped)
  • 5-6 garlic toes (coarsely chopped)

To taste:

•    Salt (not too much as other ingredients have salt)  - maybe a teaspoon
  •    Ground black pepper (not too much as other ingredients have a spicy level)  -  maybe 1/4  teaspoon
  •    Chili Powder  -  maybe a tablespoon or a bit more
  •    Paprika - maybe a tablespoon or a bit more
  •    Cumin - maybe a tablespoon or a bit more

You want the turkey to have a nice flavor and season but not so heavy that it overpowers the poblano pepper.

THE COOK:

PREPARE THE PEPPERS 

Wash peppers.  Grill on medium heat ( 325 or so using direct heat (with a nice smoke, I  used pecan chunks) until peppers have taken on a nice char but are not burnt up.  Remove from grill and place in zip lock bag or in dish covered with plastic wrap to steam for about 5 minutes.  Using side of paring knife, scrape/peel the blackened skin taking care not to break  up the peppers.  After peppers are peeped, cut slit in one side of pepper long ways.  Gently remove the seed mass and any major membranes.  If the pepper happens to tear long ways its OK as they can be molded together in the casserole dish around the stuffing.

When you remove the peppers, raise temps on Kamado to about 400 degees.

PREPARE THE GROUND TURKEY

Using an oiled and well seasoned cast iron or suitable skillet, cook the ground turkey a short time in the Kamado on high direct heat (like 400 degrees) until the initial moisture is cooked off the turkey.  Stir frequently to avoid sticking.  Use your favorite wood in the Kamado and cook with the lid closed to let the smoke kiss the turkey.   Then add the seasonings and the onion and garlic.  Cook  further ( lid closed with smoke) stirring frequently until turkey is completely cooked.  Watch that the seasonings do not start burning in bottom of skillet as the pan gets hotter and turkey moisture is lost.

After the ground turkey cook is finished reset the Kamado to indirect cooking with your deflector and go for 350 to 375 degrees for the final bake on the completed casserole.

PREPARE THE FILLING

Remove turkey from the grill (caution skillet will be really hot….use  good pot holders or several – don’t ask where that advice comes from especially if it is a long walk to the kitchen! ).  Let  turkey cool in the skillet for at least 10 minutes or so.   You need it to cool because we do not want to melt the cheese we add in next step.  Now is a good time to grate the cheeses and open the chipotle sauces. 

Estimate a sufficient amount of the turkey to stuff the peppers (considering we will add most of the cheeses) and place in large mixing bowl.  It will probably take about 80% of the meat and about 80% of the cheeses.  Gently mix the cooled turkey and both the cheeses and one of the 7 ounce cans of the chipotle sauce.  If the cheddar starts to melt let the meat cool some more before adding the rest of the cheddar.

Reserve the remaining meat and cheeses and the 2nd can of the chipotle sauce for use as a final topping on the casserole.

Restrain yourself from eating all the filling --- it is good all by itself.

STUFF THE PEPPERS

This is the easy part.  Using a large spoon and your hands, carefully stuff the poblano peppers until they are nicely filled out.  Since we are not frying them they will not burst.  Place seam side up in a greased 9 by 13 casserole.  If a pepper is torn or has spilt, form the pepper around the filling and place it baking dish.  Another benefit of not frying them!

FINISH FIXING THE CASSEROLE

Sprinkle remaining cooked turkey over and around the peppers in the dish.  Add a thin layer of the remaining cheeses.  Then drizzle the second 7 ounce can of the chipotle sauce over the dish.  Finally add the rest of the cheeses as a final finish topping.  You may need to grate some additional cheese. The topping should not be too heavy. The final layer of cheese will take on some of the smoke during the bake.

NOW--- FINALLY  (I know .. it just seems like it took forever to get here) COOK THE CASSEROLE

Again,  we will cook indirect at 350 to 375 degrees on the Kamado with your favorite wood chunks to let the topping get some smokiness.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheddar cheese has melted, the juices have released from the peppers, and the great smell of this dish is wafting from your top vent!

Cool slightly and serve with a good sour cream.

ENJOY!   The Smokehowze family sure did.

This is definitely going on my to do list I might just add some diced potatoes to the turkey and make some stuffed with some chorizo, thanks for all the details sounds like you and your son had a good time. I second Philpom on the San Marcos brand the pickled peppers are very addictive I've tried la costeña and it's not the same.

• 6 months later...

Smokhowze,

Thanks for the recipe! This was on the list of choices for last nights dinner and was selected by both wife and daughter so off to the store I want for some fresh Poblanos. I sis want to share that I added a couple of things. First, I cut spice down a little because of the 11 year old. However, she asked me to add spinach and I thought " whet the heck". Doesn't change flavor and adds a little color in the mix. Second I used 1/2 Chipolte pepper sauce and 1/2 Rotel tomatoes with chilis. Turned out perfect. The house still smells like roasted/smoked peppers and having leftovers for lunch as I type this.

Thanks again for sharing!!!!

Smokhowze,

Thanks for the recipe! This was on the list of choices for last nights dinner and was selected by both wife and daughter so off to the store I want for some fresh Poblanos. I sis want to share that I added a couple of things. First, I cut spice down a little because of the 11 year old. However, she asked me to add spinach and I thought " whet the heck". Doesn't change flavor and adds a little color in the mix. Second I used 1/2 Chipolte pepper sauce and 1/2 Rotel tomatoes with chilis. Turned out perfect. The house still smells like roasted/smoked peppers and having leftovers for lunch as I type this.

Thanks again for sharing!!!!

Glad you found the recipe idea useful and doing just what you did in your personal adaptations is exactly what cooking is all about in my opinion. I hope all in the family enjoyed the result and thanks for the feedback. The spinach idea is a great aspect. We also like to use Rotels in dishes. It does make for some really great leftovers, also.

• 2 months later...