I use a regular patio table umbrella without the table. The only concern that I have seen expressed here was some with the rain entering the top vent. That was solved by tenting the vent by some means. you search the links for options. "I'm jus sayin"

I also use the patio umbrella ,however on the last storm we had before winter we had high winds ,and blew it down , I own a vision and was more worried about the cold rain hitting hot ceramic but found all it did was steamed off . Another idea might be an eazey up ,stay dry while cooking as well .

On a few occasions, when the rain is slamming down, I have wheeled my grills into the garage, left the garage door open with the grill placed very close to the garage door opening.  All I do is place a hi speed pedestal fan about 3 feet from it... I have the fan positioned high enough to blow across the exhaust vent, and blow 99% of the smoke out the garage.  Works like a charm.

Like mentioned I have seen where someone did make a cover for the top vent and it worked quite well. Just for something simple using a metal coffee, a old style can opener. Make openings around the top of the coffee can, place upside down over your top vent. That should keep all the rain out an allow the vent to work.

I made a rain hat using a metal coffee can, has worked for me, but you need to remove temp. gauge and seal around the hole where the stem goes through as water will seep in there also. nothing works like a roof over it and you !!

well, my Vision and I are having a nice time out here in the rain. It hasn't really affected the cook, yet, though. The grill is about half way under the eave of the house, but is getting a little spatter on the top vent. Seems to be doing fine, however.

My Akorn sat out in a heavy rain on Sunday evening, when I pulled the ash pan off to do some more work to it, it had a pretty significant amount of water in it, but between the inner and outer layers, not in with the ashes. I'm a little stumped on how it would get in there, but there was a gap between the top lip and the outer bowl (which is why I pulled it off, to seal that) - perhaps that's how?

Sounds like you need to seal the pop rivet joint between the inner ash pan and the outer. Mine had a very large gap, I use high temp RTV. Also my outer shell at the tack welded right angle from the seal surface you could see completely thru from one side to the other. I sealed that up with the same RTV. It was only tacked in about 6 places, the rest was just plain open.