Want your opinion...Akorn

Ok so I have been lurking, reading, and watching the videos on here for some time now. I really want one of these Akorn smokers. I just can't afford a BGE but love smoking. I currently have a brinkman electric and a Home made flower pot ceramic smoker. I'm ready to step up my game.

So I have been checking all my local Lowes and they have no stock so I can't even see one in person. They will order me one and I can have it shipped to my door free In a few days. I also like the idea of getting 10% off with that PO coup.

But my heart isn't set on the black model with the metal shelves. I just went to Kroger and they have 1 sort of dark grey smoking grill kamado with the light wood shelves and lid handle also made by char griller. I love the color but am skeptical on not being able to put it together myself. I am afraid I won't know exactly what to be looking for when I check it out or that I might miss something. Meaning I would have to get the floor model.

What are your opinions? The grey with the wood shelves is pretty cool looking and I can get it tonight or tomorrow....or hit up Lowe's online and have the black one shipped.

Also, is there any difference in the two models feature wise? The Lowes Akorn vs Kroger Kamado the smoke and grill ( I might be saying it wrong). They look identical in shape other than the color.

Thanks

Darin

Just depends on what you like better, or what you're more comfortable with. I bought mine from Lowes put together because the guy putting them together knew what he was doing. Maybe you can get the one from Kroger put together. If not, do you feel comfortable putting one together? If not maybe you know someone who can help you.

The one at Kroger and the one at Lowes are basically the same grill minus a few cosmetic changes. Like no name on the middle of the oval grate part on the kroger one. One from Lowes say chargriller on the middle grate part. The shelves as you mentioned. Also, the texture seems different on the outside shell.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

While I am typically very afraid of stores that put things together, there really isn't that much to putting this grill together. It really consist of the tripod base, then 2 screws for the lid hinge and the 1 screw for the stack. I wouldn't be worried about this being put together at the store. Anything they did could probably be undone.

I have a few problems on mine, but I think they were from the factory problems not anything that i did in the setup. Each of the problems I have found Char-griller has stood behind and is fixing. I guess in short, i don't think you can go wrong either way.

Mine came put together from Lowes, and it was mostly done properly. I had to take the dome off anyway to fit it in the Element, so I was able to make sure that was done correctly. I don't care for the shelves appearance, but find their size renders them practically useless, so even if they were pretty I'd still be unimpressed. This is partially because the gasser I tossed in favor of the Akorn was the size of a Chrysler, so I was used to lots of room. I'm seriously considering making a table for it.

There is a learning curve, and I will be making some of the mods listed here, certainly to seal it up better. Not that it's bad, but why not make it as efficient as I can? Everything I have cooked so far has been good to stupendous, so I think it's money well spent, and I am looking forward to this weekend when I do my first real long and slow.

I got the Kroger one assembled as a surprise birthday present from my wife!

It was assembled ( it was the LAST one I town.)

I had to fix a few things on the assembly ( no biggie)

If outside uncovered you will replace the wood side shelves & slats in 4-5 years ( they'll be cheap) & if covered 8-10 years.

I wanted the lowes version , but every one comments how good mine looks so I'm happy

• 3 weeks later...

I assembled my grill yesterday and it went together with no problems. I found the quality to be very good and the instructions are easy to follow. You will need a 7/16" nutdriver and I also needed a 10mm socket for the shelf shoulder bolt/nut. The lid handle I used a wobble extension with a 7/16" socket but it could probably be done with a 7/16" wrench. One big advantage with doing it yourself is you can take the time to ensure it is done correctly. Before I started I took all the parts out of the box and unwrapped them then placed them all on a tarp which I also assembled the grill on.. Good luck!

Ray

I'm with JM on the metal shelves. And definitely spring for the cover, that's just good advice for any grill.

Not familiar with what Kroger is selling, but this cooker definitely seems to have gone through several iterations along the way. The older "King Griller" or "Big Red" models had a stainless top vent that some have described as flimsier and less effective than the current black cast model. The gasket material may have been different as well. I'd look at those two things before I made the purchase. Color and shelving are obviously personal preference.

FWIW I got the black Akorn from Lowe's and am loving it!

I'm with JM on the metal shelves. And definitely spring for the cover, that's just good advice for any grill.

Not familiar with what Kroger is selling, but this cooker definitely seems to have gone through several iterations along the way. The older "King Griller" or "Big Red" models had a stainless top vent that some have described as flimsier and less effective than the current black cast model. The gasket material may have been different as well. I'd look at those two things before I made the purchase. Color and shelving are obviously personal preference.

FWIW I got the black Akorn from Lowe's and am loving it!

The new red king grillers are just like the akorn's except for the wood shelves