Sign in to follow this  
Deslock

First time at a reverse seared ribeye

Ok, now that I have time again to get in the back yard, I thought it time to cook out for the GF's birthday. And in doing so I decided to try my first reverse sear; turned out rather good, I think I need to use a different pan for a diffuser/cool section, but otherwise I can not complain. I got some 2" thick ribeyes from the local Whole Foods, used some thick ground pepper & Himalayan sea salt, and butter on 'em. Now, have some steak pr0n!

Thanks for looking!

post-2323-0-50576800-1393122451_thumb.jp

post-2323-0-38356000-1393122463_thumb.jp

post-2323-0-66226800-1393122502_thumb.jp

My wonderful steaks (according to my wife) I've always gotten from the high temp sear from the front end. Then, I'll use an instant read digital to pull off lower heat when ready to rest. I'd think that reverse would be harder to pull off, making it easier to overcook... Thoughts?

I'm not so sure sear at the start vs. searing at the end really makes a big difference in the final results. For me, in a kamado environment that doesn't give me an option of dual zone cooking, it is just easier and quicker to slap the steaks on as the temperature hits about 200 degrees, set the vents to hold it around 225-250, then walk away for awhile, til the steak reach desired temp. Then grab the tongs, pull off the grate and the heat deflector, open up the vents, and for me, in less than a minute or so, the coals are alive and flaming from the sudden gush of O2, I slap the steaks back on for about 2 minutes each side and I'm done. If I had to get the grill up to 500 degrees from the start, I would have to remove the steak, shut down the vents and wait for the temp to drop, if I wanted them to rest at a lower temp, and in a kamado, that could take awhile.

In my mind, if you like your steak seared on the outside and pink to rare in the middle, as most people do, high heat sear from the front side is the best. If you are an old fuddy duddy like myself, and prefer a more medium/medium rare all the way through, then go with reverse sear, a matter of personal preference, really. I just remember reading about Finney's reverse sear method on BBQBrethren some years back, and he explained the science behind it, having to do with th breakdown of complex enzymes and their relationship to tenderness and taste.... I'm not too sure if there is anything to that or is it's just nonsense, but I have stuck with the reverse sear method every since. 

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/312-the-finney-reverse-sear-the-finney-method/