Sign in to follow this  
hrmbbq

Smokeware Chimney vented cap Review

I am actually quite impressed with this product. I would definitely buy one without hesitation if you plan to cook on rainy days and if you don’t use your cooker often to prevent mold and mildew build up inside the cooker. It also a good ideal to use this chimney cap if you plan to leave your cooker exposed to the elements. I also found that it also improves the look of the cooker and it’s quite sharp on them. I especially loved the fact that when I open the lid the settings on the vent didn’t change like my old daisy wheel did. You can control the temp just as easy has the standard daisy wheel. The benefits of this caps outweighs the cost of this cap and for $37.95 it’s steel!

The only real negative aspect I found is the slight discoloration of the stainless base of the chimney at high temperature cook which is a minor thing and some of its edges where quite sharp which is also quite minor. 

post-38-0-45296900-1393159224.jpg

Great, thanks. I am a little confused. I was told the KJ bigjoe and classic top vents are the same size. I emailed smokeware and was told this would not fit on the bigjoe.

I have a Smokeware cap...I also have a Big Joe and a Classic. The Smokeware cap is a nice product, but does NOT fit the KJ's to my satisfaction. It will not slide all the way down onto the top of the KJ, making it look like it wasn't quite made for a Kamado Joe. With that said, I'd use it in a heartbeat to keep rain out during a cook. But I will not leave it on as my everyday top vent...as I just don't care for the look (fit). Just my opinion ;-)

If Smokeware were to come out w/ a cap specifically made for KJ, I'd probably buy one and use it more. I did not pay for the one that I currently have :-)

Great, thanks. I am a little confused. I was told the KJ bigjoe and classic top vents are the same size. I emailed smokeware and was told this would not fit on the bigjoe.

I have a Smokeware cap...I also have a Big Joe and a Classic. The Smokeware cap is a nice product, but does NOT fit the KJ's to my satisfaction. It will not slide all the way down onto the top of the KJ, making it look like it wasn't quite made for a Kamado Joe. With that said, I'd use it in a heartbeat to keep rain out during a cook. But I will not leave it on as my everyday top vent...as I just don't care for the look (fit). Just my opinion ;-)

If Smokeware were to come out w/ a cap specifically made for KJ, I'd probably buy one and use it more. I did not pay for the one that I currently have :-)

Thanks to both users for both opinions.

That's a classy rain cap. I wish it were available for the Vision series of grills.

That is a good price for a stainless steel cap.  I looked at stainless 8" caps for the Vision (see http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/5715-my-new-rain-cap/) and they were all ~$75 and up.  I  just wanted something to keep out the rain so I opted for a cheap glavanized cap from Tractor Supply (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/imperial-8-in-galvanized-stove-rain-cap-30-ga). The picture they show is not accurate - in person it is much wider on the base relative to the top and I don't think it is that tall.  I didn't feel the need for stainless siince I only plan on putting it on top of the stock cap occassionally and it will be stored in a deck box.  I haven't had a need to use it since I bought it though.

I accidentally posted the below in the BGE forum, and am not sure how to delete. I mean't to post it one of the couple of threads in the reviews section.

post-7481-0-53691900-1421806952_thumb.jp

I bought one of these at a local store. The only research I did, as far as fit goes, was on their website. They had a picture of one on a KJ and I've been looking for a rain solution other than the tin foil hat I've been making. I got it home and it did not fit my KJ classic. I sent them an email inquiring, and they informed me that KJ had a bigger top vent diameter than in the past and they had new vents ordered to fit the new KJ vent. I sent them the one I bought and I received the new one today. It fits perfectly and I am anxious to try it out and see how the control works. The older ones look to have just a rectangle opening on the sides, whereas this one has a tapered opening, which you can see in the picture, for fine tuning at low and slow. I must say that Smokeware's customer service was top notch.

I accidentally posted the below in the BGE forum, and am not sure how to delete. I mean't to post it one of the couple of threads in the reviews section.

attachicon.gifIMG_0568.jpg

I bought one of these at a local store. The only research I did, as far as fit goes, was on their website. They had a picture of one on a KJ and I've been looking for a rain solution other than the tin foil hat I've been making. I got it home and it did not fit my KJ classic. I sent them an email inquiring, and they informed me that KJ had a bigger top vent diameter than in the past and they had new vents ordered to fit the new KJ vent. I sent them the one I bought and I received the new one today. It fits perfectly and I am anxious to try it out and see how the control works. The older ones look to have just a rectangle opening on the sides, whereas this one has a tapered opening, which you can see in the picture, for fine tuning at low and slow. I must say that Smokeware's customer service was top notch.

That is cool! Mine is on the way too!  The tapered opening is really good! One thing I really wish to test myself is If the fully opened vent is enough to give a maximum airflow to raise temp fast without taking a cap off. If I can, this vented chimney will sit permanently although I will miss "KAMADO JOE" logo!

That is cool! Mine is on the way too! The tapered opening is really good! One thing I really wish to test myself is If the fully opened vent is enough to give a maximum airflow to raise temp fast without taking a cap off. If I can, this vented chimney will sit permanently although I will miss "KAMADO JOE" logo!
Stone - can I ask where you ordered that from? Just looked on Wishbox and it is £29.99. Just wondering if there was a better price anywhere. Shipping to Scotland. Cheers.

That is cool! Mine is on the way too! The tapered opening is really good! One thing I really wish to test myself is If the fully opened vent is enough to give a maximum airflow to raise temp fast without taking a cap off. If I can, this vented chimney will sit permanently although I will miss "KAMADO JOE" logo!
Stone - can I ask where you ordered that from? Just looked on Wishbox and it is £29.99. Just wondering if there was a better price anywhere. Shipping to Scotland. Cheers.

Hi dwilkie, Wishbone sells only original one for BGE. So, if you are after the one for KJ, it would not fit.  I am getting a Vented Chimney Cap for KJ from Smokeware directly from States (Florida). At moment only option to get the one for KJ is directly from Smokeware. They do ship to UK.  So, ask them if they still have a stock.  I contacted Matt Merritt at Smokeware (matt@smokeware.netlast year and they told me that they were making the one that fits KJ. Last week, they sent me e-mail saying that they have just received the first batch, and shipped one for me.  I am still awaiting mine to arrive! Here is the url: http://smokeware.net

Hi dwilkie, Wishbone sells only original one for BGE. So, if you are after the one for KJ, it would not fit. I am getting a Vented Chimney Cap for KJ from Smokeware directly from States (Florida). At moment only option to get the one for KJ is directly from Smokeware. They do ship to UK. So, ask them if they still have a stock. I contacted Matt Merritt at Smokeware (matt@smokeware.net) last year and they told me that they were making the one that fits KJ. Last week, they sent me e-mail saying that they have just received the first batch, and shipped one for me. I am still awaiting mine to arrive! Here is the url: http://smokeware.net
Thanks for that Stone. I saw it was for the large BGE but I wondered if that wouldn't also fit the KJ. I read on a review site that you could use the ceramic top for a BGE as a "snuffer" / weather protector instead of the daisy wheel on the KJ.

Hi dwilkie, Wishbone sells only original one for BGE. So, if you are after the one for KJ, it would not fit. I am getting a Vented Chimney Cap for KJ from Smokeware directly from States (Florida). At moment only option to get the one for KJ is directly from Smokeware. They do ship to UK. So, ask them if they still have a stock. I contacted Matt Merritt at Smokeware (matt@smokeware.net) last year and they told me that they were making the one that fits KJ. Last week, they sent me e-mail saying that they have just received the first batch, and shipped one for me. I am still awaiting mine to arrive! Here is the url: http://smokeware.net
Thanks for that Stone. I saw it was for the large BGE but I wondered if that wouldn't also fit the KJ. I read on a review site that you could use the ceramic top for a BGE as a "snuffer" / weather protector instead of the daisy wheel on the KJ.

I think BGE's ceramic top is only to cover the top when you finish the cooking. I believe you need to take the daisy wheel and cover the hole with the ceramic top. Thus I do not know if BGE's ceramic top fits to KJ. I use metal bowl to cover CI daisy wheel top when I finish cooking. I then further cover the whole KJ grill with KJ cover.