more from the inside of BOTW lump bags

philpom

I have gone through 80 + pounds of Best of the West lump recently and have continued to be impressed with what I am finding in the bag.  I have posted some pics recently along with some cooks....  Here are a few I've been saving...

From the bottom of a bag the other day I cooked pizza with.  The size of the hunks has been great, You need some medium/small stuff in there and I have been using my old stash quickly.

IMG_20140222_180835_632_zpseyhcr3sc.jpg

A new bag I opened the other day, this was for a porterhouse and potatoes..  again, nice sizes, very little small stuff, had to dig in the shed for the bottom of some other bag.

IMG_20140223_180016_960_zpssfgzpwfv.jpg

Previously posted pic recently from a butt I did.  Huge chunks.

IMG_20140215_230251_081_zpsbrbytcxn.jpg

Here is a bag I opened a few weeks ago...  same story.

IMG_20140202_214144_968_zpscld5iy6d.jpg

It seems to me that the lump from the bags has really improved the past year or so.  I have also started carefully feeling the bag before I pull and buy.  Maybe this is the trick since nobody that sells lump has decided yet to do it in a clear bag!

I'm liking it, maybe you will also, just give the bag a good feel :)

Me too, most of the bags I have bought for the last 2 years have had a lot of small stuff. Royal Oak is pretty much every bag. This first bag of Mali has had several pieces that were just colored wood and some foreign objects.

I see you are also in Texas. I have used exclusively except for a small bag of RO the BOW. I can get at sams cheap I think that's where you got 40lbs. 

I just saw a new product FYI at Costco, Stubbs Hardwood lump and it was very impressive so far, clean and medium parts. Some of the BOW was so big I had to hit them together to break it up ! But at least they were carbonized and broke up well. Some bags have lots of small stuff, I guess it varies.

Try the Stubbs if you can get to Costco.

I'm no fan of dust but haven't figured out the disdain for small pieces? The really large stuff is difficult to configure in the bowl without large gaps between pieces that make burn propagation questionable on a long cook. I'll take small and medium all day.

What am I missing or is it just a difference in describing small? Small to me is around the size of briquettes, maybe slightly smaller. I'm fine with that up to fist size. Any bigger than double fist size and I break it up with my hatchet to avoid large gaps between pieces. Keep in mind I'm an advanced Newb with a year of Kamado under my belt so my opinion is worth what you pay for it. I'm really just curious why the consensus favors Big lump and assume I'm missing something.

I was quite happy with BOTW when my Sams carried it BTW. They've moved on to Frontier which I haven't tried yet.

I'm no fan of dust but haven't figured out the disdain for small pieces? The really large stuff is difficult to configure in the bowl without large gaps between pieces that make burn propagation questionable on a long cook. I'll take small and medium all day.

What am I missing or is it just a difference in describing small? Small to me is around the size of briquettes, maybe slightly smaller. I'm fine with that up to fist size. Any bigger than double fist size and I break it up with my hatchet to avoid large gaps between pieces. Keep in mind I'm an advanced Newb with a year of Kamado under my belt so my opinion is worth what you pay for it. I'm really just curious why the consensus favors Big lump and assume I'm missing something.

I was quite happy with BOTW when my Sams carried it BTW. They've moved on to Frontier which I haven't tried yet.

Bill, See my review of Lazzari Lump in the link below for what I'd call large, medium, small & dust. As I build my fire (pile) I start with large pieces, fill in with medium and finally with small. I want a mixture of all three and as little dust as possible.

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/8611-lazzari-mesquite-lump/?hl=lazzari

If your lump is available seasonally, at the beginning of the season try to stock up on a years supply. Reason the longer it sits the more it gets sat on & tossed around. In our area the lump is always available & I try to buy it when they restock the supply & only take the 3-4 bags off the top of the pile. It doesn't seem to matter what brand the lump is that bottom bag has a lot of the small stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I see a lot of detailed comments on the sizes of lump, and really don't you think it depends on how many trucks it had be loaded/unloaded, moved, and if the batch of lump in your bag was from the beginning of a pile being processed, the middle or towards the end? The BOTW I have had, some were pretty broken up (you should have seen the bags - some had holes, but it was Sams, late fall / early winter and not many bags left. I've also just bought a bag of hardwood lump called "Stubbs" from Costco and the bags were very clean and nearly dust free, but they did have many pieces about the size of 9 volt batteries or smaller to go with the large bits. I don't like the really small stuff as it clogs my system up, but otherwise its all good. 

I have cooked a lot on BOTW as I used it about exclusively until my recent Stubbs purchase - now I have both and like mixing them. I will say BOTW is a lot more "flavorful" and if you like it or not is your taste. Its a bit much on poultry, and I agree with the advice I saw here that poultry adsorbs smoke like a sponge so a little goes a long way.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to grabbing a bag of Best of the West mesquite lump from Walmart. Man, you ain't kidding about there being a lot of big chunks in there! Didn't notice any difference in smokiness, if anything it almost seemed to produce less smoke. Also seemed to burn a bit cooler, probably just because it didn't have as many small chunks that burn quickly.

I think I might stick with this one for a while.