Sign in to follow this  
cajunlady

Preparing for first pork butt

I plan to cook my first pork butt this weekend. Will cook at 250 but not sure how long to plan on for the cook. The butt is 8 lbs. I know that the internal temp should be 205 but I am not sure about what temp I should pull it at and should I wrap it and let it rest for a couple of hours.

At 250°, an 8lb butt might take 12ish hours. I wish folks would stop thinking this way, meats are done when they're done. 205° internal is perfect, pull it then, not one degree less, wrap it for about 30-45 minutes, I think you'll love it. Timing cooks is what gets you in trouble, just cook it!

Check out my thread Good Day For A Smoke as it was a similar cook but the Butt was cut half. I had two 4.75 lbs pieces that cooked between 250°-275°F for exactly 7 hours to probe tenderness, if time is an issue, I highly recommend splitting the butts to speed the cooking time. Various parts read over 200°F internal temp with the "toughest" section I probed registering around 198°F when I pulled and rested them. Typically, I will wrap the butts in a steel baking pan with foil and hold them in the microwave until I am ready to serve. I hand pull, sort and remove any excess fat, and serve naked with sauce on the side; haven't fixed a bad one yet! I forego the foiling and spritzing methods as I feel they don't add anything to the cook. Let the heat and moisture in the kamado do it's magic and you will be pleased with the outcome. Good luck with your first butt cook!

cajunlady - Excited for you and your first butt cook. Follow the good advices above and you'll be more than pleased with the result. Let us know how it turns out. Better yet, take a  picture or two.

Like other mentioned, it is not always internal temp as each piece of meat cooks differently. I strictly go by probe tender, that has been anywhere from 195 to 215 IT. Start early as you can wrap, throw in a cooler and pull it many hours later. It will still be plenty hot. Don't rush it. It is done when it is done.

Photos please :-D

Cooking on a CG King Griller. Have previously only done the pork butt on a Brinkman offset grill. Have had the CG for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. I am planning on cooking the butt in an aluminum pan uncovered at 250. My original thought was to pull it at about 190-195 and let it rest. Time is not a problem. People are coming over late Sun afternoon and I was thinking that I'd put it on the grill late Sat. niight and let it slow cook. I have a digi Q2 that I have not put to the test yet and thought this would be a good opportunity to do so, even though keeping the grill at 250 for an extended period of time without it has not been a problem.

I usually trim the fat off as there is precious realestate hiding under there that can be made into more delicious bark. The last butt I cooked, I kept the fat cap and cooked it on the bottom. That yielded a nice crispy bacon like product that I found to be very pleasant and tasty. I cut it up and incorporated it in the pulled pork, it was delicious.

Instead of cooking over night, have you thought about trying to smoke it at 300 deg's?  A lot shorter smoke time, and same results.  I always leave the fat as my wife loves the crispy fat, smoke cap up is my preferred method.

I like putting mine in a cheap aluminum pan, fat down. This gives a better bark, the fat prevents burning on the bottom, and the pan catches the juices you can use to baste after its pulled. Pan or not, beef or pork, fat down.