mapett

Tri Tip Roast...Suggestions?

I picked up a couple Tri Tip (roasts) at Costco.  I've never even seen these in person.  I know they are really popular in some areas of the country.  Any tips on how to cook it?  I imagine marinade and direct grill, but I'm looking for any input.  The word "roast" threw me for a loop.  Made me wonder if I'm to do it on indirect heat or on the smoker.  

Apply your favorite beef rub/marinade...allow to sit at least several hours in the fridge (overnight is best)... toss on Kamado running at 250° indirect...toss in a couple of chunks of a mild fruit wood...take IT of tri-tip up to 15 degrees from desired temp...remove tri-tip and cover with foil...switch Kamado to direct heat and bring up to about 600-650°...toss tri-tip back on and sear for 90 seconds per side...remove and take temp...if not done, sear maybe 30 seconds per side til done. I prefer internal temp of 130-135°. You are in for a real treat!!!

Do you have a rub or marinade in mind?

Also, on a tri-tip, you ALWAYS want to slice against the grain. I suggest putting some very shallow slices (against the grain) into the meat before seasoning/cooking. That way when it's done, you'll be able to easily identify which way to slice.

What Rwalters and Jackjumper said. The reverse sear lets you get a nice smoke flavor. I predict this will end up being one of your favorite cuts of meat.

ENJOY!

I saw this recipe about a year ago, and I've been dreaming of this elusive "tri tip" cut ever since. So, maybe I'll try a version similar to it.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28390-argentine-grilled-tri-tip

sounds good!! I have tried a lot of ways...my FAVE tri-tip Posted Imagerub is Pappy's! However, I'll be trying this marinade next...seems to be lots of people on this forum that love it:

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning

1 teaspoon Espresso Powder(any finely ground coffee will work)

Mix all ingredients well and rub on both sides of one steak and let sit for at least one hour. More time is better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      It’s been a while since I last cooked anything let alone posted a cook. Sorry for that but life is just very busy and hectic for us these days.  It’s also been a while since I’ve had Tri Tip and it recently went on sale, so I picked up this 3.79 lb. behemoth.

I took it out of the package and trimmed it up a little.

I them minced some fresh Rosemary from my garden.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally the minced Rosemary.

I wrapped this up in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for 6 hours. I then made up some Tzatziki with I also let rest in the fridge for 6 hours.

Around 4:00 I started prepping the Redhead for the cook. I started by spreading a layer of red oak chunks in the bottom of the Vortex ring.

Around 5:00 I lit up a chimney of lump and poured it over the oak chunks. I place the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then took it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear!  (Here a pic without the flash so you can see it)

I then placed the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While that was happening I sliced up some veggies.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

I had purchased some nice Pita bread so I made a Tri Tip Pita sandwich.

Delicious!
    • By DerHusker
      I’ve cooked a Tri-Tip many times but never posted the recipe. This is the way I do them and they turn out great every time. Here are the ingredients:

I smear on some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally some fresh minced rosemary from my garden.

Wrap it up for an 8 hour rest in the fridge. Shortly before the 8 hours are up I prep my kamado for 2 zone cooking and lite it up. After taking the Tri-Tip out of the fridge, I put a couple of Pecan chunks on the charcoal and placed the Tri-Tip on the indirect side.

Here it is after the Maverick says the I.T. is 112 to 113. (No more than 115)

I take it off and loosely tent it with foil and open up the vents for searing. Once the thermometer reads at least 500 degrees (more like 650 on the grate) I place it on for 3 a sear minute sear.   Here’s a pic without the flash.

After 3 minutes I flip it and took this pic with the flash.

Bring it inside and let it rest for 10 minutes.

I then cut it in half along the seam so I could cut it against the grain. (See the way the grain is running?)

Sliced

And that’s Money!

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      This Saturday I turned 60 and we had some friends over for a BBQ / potluck to commiserate errrr I mean celebrate. Friday I pulled 2 Tri-Tips and 3 large steaks out of the freezer to thaw. (1 - 1.75 lb. T-bone, 1 - 2.25 lb. Porterhouse and a monster 2.5 lb.Tt-bone) I seasoned up the Tri-Tips in the my usual way with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, steak seasoning and some fresh minced Rosemary from the yard.

For the steaks I just rubbed them down with Worcestershire sauce and then some steak seasoning. This is the Porterhouse.

Once our guests arrived I didn’t have much time to take pictures so these are all taken with my phone camera and a little hit and miss. I put all the meat on my kamado. It was setup for indirect cooking and was at 300 degrees as we all wanted to eat quickly. (Normally would’ve done them at 250) Once most of them were all at around 115 to 120 IT I took them off and covered with foil. The monster T-bone took a while longer to get up to temp so it was left on the kamado for another 2 to 3 minutes.

I had set-up my Jumbo Joe in a separate location for searing. Here are the 2 Tri-Tips being seared.

Here is the Porterhouse and the smaller T-bone waiting to be seared.

I had set-up a craving station right there on one of the tables so everyone could get some meat as quickly as possible. I sliced up one of the Tri-Tips and then the monster T-bone which had been seared by that time. That meat all went fast so I sliced up the other Tri-Tip which is shown here.

And finally I was able to fix myself a plate of some Tri-Tip, steak, potato and macaroni salad.

Everyone had a great time and I’m now officially old.

• By Bgosnell151
      Today's cook went much better than yesterday's.  The food turned out fantastic.  I did a tri tip and then 20 burgers and 20 dogs.  Here is the tri tip cook...

• By BillCarr
      Finally found a semi reasonable Tri tip in greater St. Louis.
      Individuals trimmed, $7.57/lb
      Bought the 5-6 pack un trimmed for $6.57/lb
      They also had steaks that I didn't price check but looked very nice
      At Sams in Edwardsville, imagine similar availability at other area Sams. Struck out at local costcos