cajunlady

Successful First Pork Butt

Thanks everybody for all of the information you provided. My first pork butt cook was a huge success. iI injected it with a mixture of the rub and some apple juice, put the rub on it andI put it on  the CGK about 10:45 p.m. Saturday night. The temp varied anywhere from 237 to 260 during the night but when I checked the Maverick around 8:00 a.m. it was rock steady at 241. When it reached IT of 195 around 10:00 a.m. I probed it and it was like butter so I pulled it, wrapped it and left it alone until ready to shred. I made a simple thin finishing sauce on Saturday which I used on it after I shredded the meat I will attempt to attach photos.

.post-3503-0-32932400-1393883382_thumb.jppost-3503-0-80510600-1393883447_thumb.jp

Outstanding!! It's always great to hear about successful cooks. This is also a great example of how small temperature fluctuations don't matter. Congrats, and keep grillin!!

I'm definitely "hooked". I can't wait to do another overnight smoke!  Now that I've got the first one under my belt, I want to start "tweaking" a few things that I did on this smoke. The flavor of the pork was great and it had a nice bark but I'd like to play around a little with the rub.

I'm definitely "hooked". I can't wait to do another overnight smoke!  Now that I've got the first one under my belt, I want to start "tweaking" a few things that I did on this smoke. The flavor of the pork was great and it had a nice bark but I'd like to play around a little with the rub.

And so the addiction begins..."Hi, my name is cajunlady and it has been 3 days since my last pork butt."