Where do y'all buy your meat?

anes.rn

So recently I cooked a couple of chickens on the Vision grill. One was free range about 3-3.5 lbs from the meat market and the other was from local grocery store that was about 5 lbs. Recently, especially with chicken I've noticed that these big birds just don't cook up very good-the skin won't crisp up, there's fat globules where there shouldn't be and such.  I'm not some person who shops at Whole foods or anything like that as we have three kids, but I do like to get my meat at our local meat market. It's not certified "organic" but it is a regular ole chicken or beef that eats what it's supposed to and walks the earth till it makes it to my table. Truth be told- it all tastes 10x better. Heck even when using the hamburger in a recipe like spaghetti or hamburger helper- it taste better.  I know though that buying a brisket or shoulder can be pretty pricey if not from the big market. I'm just curious where y'all get your meat from and if you think there's a big difference between free range, USDA prime, etc?

Thanks

If my locally owned meat market has it, I'm going to buy it there. Whether it's a brisket, porterhouse, pork loin, rib roast or some kind of chicken and cactus sausage, I found out a long time ago his meats are better than the supermarket's. He grinds his hamburger fresh each morning, so I'm not afraid to cook a burger medium rare.

And he regularly carries tri-tips, which is a great bonus. 

When it comes to chicken, most are water chilled which adds water to the skin and keeps it from browning or crisping well.  Be sure to dry it with a towel, (some even recommend letting it sit uncovered in the fridge to dry further) and check the label to see where it's from.  Get as local as possible for chicken.  I would say get to know your meats so as you check the ads you will know when a good deal comes along and what you are looking for.  I have started getting the prime top sirloin steaks at a local market as they are leaner, don't need as much so the total cost is less, and they never disappoint when cooked correctly.  But rwhinton has good advice about getting to know a local meat market, even the larger ones I have found will try to accommodate a special request. 

I get most of my meat from Kroger. For chicken, I cook up the old 99 cent Kroger special whole bird and generally get them in the 5.5-6.5 pound range. I've never had an issue with the skin not crisping. Pat the skin dry with a paper towel, use kosher or sea salt and paprika on it, and cook the chicken at 375 to 400 degrees F. I also prefer to cook my spatchcocked birds indirect.

I get most of my meat from Kroger. For chicken, I cook up the old 99 cent Kroger special whole bird and generally get them in the 5.5-6.5 pound range. I've never had an issue with the skin not crisping. Pat the skin dry with a paper towel, use kosher or sea salt and paprika on it, and cook the chicken at 375 to 400 degrees F. I also prefer to cook my spatchcocked birds indirect.

I am amazed at the difference that patting the skin---(or surface of any meat )--dry makes as far as browning. I also some times spray the skin with canola oil lightly after i put the rub on and it seems to help as does a couple of slashes in the skin to let the fat out. I never did get crisp  chicken skin until I slashed to let all that liquid fat out. I find supermarket chicken just fine.

I usually get my beef at Sam's because there is not a Costco near by. Well marbled beef will certainly out preform beef that is not. All too often it also out performs my budget.

Oh if only I could.  Only two chain stores here and a WM.  No butcher shop.  The stores meat is select, CAB, or choice.  No prime.  There is just no demand for the better cuts and grades.  The good thing is there's a Kroger 45 miles away the has some really good meat and it's less expensive than the stuff here.  So, eat mo chicken and pork.

90% of my meat purchases are from Costco or Whole Foods.  I always enjoy the results better with meat purchased from one of these two stores.  Yes, I could save a bit by buying whats on sale at the local Safeway (and I do 10% of the time)... but I can always tell the difference in the final product.

I usually buy at BJ's or a supermarket. There is a reasonably priced butcher not too far away but they are usually mobbed. Other local butchers are really high priced and I just won't pay that much more.