Kamado joe or primo

kielio

There are usually different products in different price ranges and different quality with different features with anything someone wants to buy. I bought a Kia Forte EX at the end of December after looking at several different cars in both the compact and midsize class. There are several reasons why I preferred this over others. If someone on here said a Mercedes is better than a Kia I would not be offended because it would be true.

Same thing with ceramic kamado's. If you look at some vs others there are some obvious differences in build quality, hardware quality, warranty, features and pricing. Some of the companies might be above others when it comes to customer service. Not everyone can see the different brands in person to compare against one another.

When someone comes on this forum and asks a question to get a better understanding I don't see anything wrong with being honest. For example, this one has a better warranty or better hardware or better customer service or comes with more accessories or is a better value. Now some things can be subjective but some are obvious and sometimes for the sake of argument some can present some things  as equal when they are not. Many times on this forum people have stated that all the cookers get great results but if they make any statement about one having an advantage over another in any way someone can and usually does get offended. 

In this day and age it seems like some of the top companies are monitoring the forums and in some situations comments can bring about improvements in either their product or customer service because they know that what people say and read on the forums can have an effect on their business and sales. Competition is a good thing for everyone and when and if a company stands above others in different areas I don't think that there is anything wrong with saying so.

I have a Grill Dome and it cooks great food. They lack the accessories that the competition has, their bigger cooker is a different size so you couldn't use other companies accessories. In my opinion they should do something with their extended rack so that it would be secure like a notch in the legs to keep it from sliding when you try to get food off of it. If someone asks about a Grill Dome I have no problem being honest and pointing out advantages and or disadvantages so that the person can make an informed decision. I think it is only fair when someone is considering spending that much money.

When I first started researching these cookers one major company had people on their forum who were blindly loyal and either deny or downplay known problems. On the other hand nothing in life is perfect and anything can happen no matter what you own. People get great deals on Akorns and Visions and they cook great and provide very good customer service. There are some very good companies and products out there, I am not trying to insult anyones cookers.

At the same when I see what is happening, Kamado Joe provides consistently outstanding customer service that is above even the better companies, it is that good. They continue to innovate and improve their products and even improved their warranty. You get a stand and everything you need to cook on the cooker when it arrives. When you look at the overall picture they are starting to pull away from the competition. Competition is good for everyone as it brings bout improvements. Primo is now selling a round package that comes with a stand. BGE has made some changes too. I am not knocking any other company or product but I feel that Kamado Joe deserves the credit for what they do and what they have accomplished. Not everyone will buy a Kamado Joe, there are different reasons why some will buy other brands and that is their right . There are a lot of good choices.

There are usually different products in different price ranges and different quality with different features with anything someone wants to buy. I bought a Kia Forte EX at the end of December after looking at several different cars in both the compact and midsize class. There are several reasons why I preferred this over others. If someone on here said a Mercedes is better than a Kia I would not be offended because it would be true.

Same thing with ceramic kamado's. If you look at some vs others there are some obvious differences in build quality, hardware quality, warranty, features and pricing. Some of the companies might be above others when it comes to customer service. Not everyone can see the different brands in person to compare against one another.

When someone comes on this forum and asks a question to get a better understanding I don't see anything wrong with being honest. For example, this one has a better warranty or better hardware or better customer service or comes with more accessories or is a better value. Now some things can be subjective but some are obvious and sometimes for the sake of argument some can present some things as equal when they are not. Many times on this forum people have stated that all the cookers get great results but if they make any statement about one having an advantage over another in any way someone can and usually does get offended.

In this day and age it seems like some of the top companies are monitoring the forums and in some situations comments can bring about improvements in either their product or customer service because they know that what people say and read on the forums can have an effect on their business and sales. Competition is a good thing for everyone and when and if a company stands above others in different areas I don't think that there is anything wrong with saying so.

I have a Grill Dome and it cooks great food. They lack the accessories that the competition has, their bigger cooker is a different size so you couldn't use other companies accessories. In my opinion they should do something with their extended rack so that it would be secure like a notch in the legs to keep it from sliding when you try to get food off of it. If someone asks about a Grill Dome I have no problem being honest and pointing out advantages and or disadvantages so that the person can make an informed decision. I think it is only fair when someone is considering spending that much money.

When I first started researching these cookers one major company had people on their forum who were blindly loyal and either deny or downplay known problems. On the other hand nothing in life is perfect and anything can happen no matter what you own. People get great deals on Akorns and Visions and they cook great and provide very good customer service. There are some very good companies and products out there, I am not trying to insult anyones cookers.

At the same when I see what is happening, Kamado Joe provides consistently outstanding customer service that is above even the better companies, it is that good. They continue to innovate and improve their products and even improved their warranty. You get a stand and everything you need to cook on the cooker when it arrives. When you look at the overall picture they are starting to pull away from the competition. Competition is good for everyone as it brings bout improvements. Primo is now selling a round package that comes with a stand. BGE has made some changes too. I am not knocking any other company or product but I feel that Kamado Joe deserves the credit for what they do and what they have accomplished. Not everyone will buy a Kamado Joe, there are different reasons why some will buy other brands and that is their right . There are a lot of good choices.

VERY well said CVW!!!!! :-)

I think kamadoguru.com is a better place to get useful information in this situation.  When someone wants to compare features and usability of two different brands, there is no other strong place online to do that.  The manufacturer's own forums are good sources of information for sure but you won't usually find a group of people participating on those forums who use the other option you want to compare.  This brings up another 'online' phenomenon that I like to consider sometimes...

"What I have is what you should get"

The membership here does a great job of not getting into pissin' contests usually.  I try my personal best to support everyone and every type of kamado grill out there.  Just because I cook on Kamado Joe grills doesn't mean that everyone should.  I can tell you why I like Kamado Joe.  I can also tell you why other kamado grills out there are nice as well.  

I think kamadoguru.com is a better place to get useful information in this situation.  When someone wants to compare features and usability of two different brands, there is no other strong place online to do that.  The manufacturer's own forums are good sources of information for sure but you won't usually find a group of people participating on those forums who use the other option you want to compare.  This brings up another 'online' phenomenon that I like to consider sometimes...

"What I have is what you should get"

The membership here does a great job of not getting into pissin' contests usually.  I try my personal best to support everyone and every type of kamado grill out there.  Just because I cook on Kamado Joe grills doesn't mean that everyone should.  I can tell you why I like Kamado Joe.  I can also tell you why other kamado grills out there are nice as well.  

Well said, sir.

Everybody's value perceptions are different. We should grateful for all the choices we have to get a Kamado. 5-years ago, a $300 Kamado was unimaginable. You only had a handful of options to choose from. Brands like Akorn, Vision and KJ are still young brands with tons of room to advance and grow. They'll be a lot of pressure on older brands like Primo, Grill Dome and BGE to step things-up with innovations of their own.

The next five years in Kamado's really looks very exciting. A lot of that is due to the newer brands that are pushing the envelope and thinking out of the box. It's never been a better time to be a Kamado owner.

I like what John said, because the essence of the question was, "Tell me why you bought the kamado grill you have.  Period."  Everyone has to make a decision based on the information they have gathered, it's not our decision because we all have different "filters" for the personal decisions we make.  I was fortunate because while my husband got what he wanted for me, he also allowed me to get what I wanted too!  Smart man.

Sometimes, one's decision regarding what kamado to purchase, actually has other factors than the kamados performance. In my case, I wanted a quality classic kamado. I narrowed the field to Kamado Joe, Grill Dome, and BGE. They are all IMO  equally great quality grills, that cook very well. The final decision was made based on the fact that BGE has a dealer down the hill and the others have dealers hundreds of miles away, and the fact that my AR spider combo rack only fits in the BGE. Any one of those grills would have filled the bill and made me happy. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, compare them to your needs and not as to which one is better than the other, as that really is a dog chasing his tail argument. Fact is there all great and do what you want them to. Make your choice and let the other guy or gal make theirs. Didn't someone say "Can't we all just get along".

The fact that this thread is now up to 73 posts clearly indicates only one conclusion: Primo is the superior grill!! (Just trying to elicit another 73 posts!).

The fact that this thread is now up to 73 posts clearly indicates only one conclusion: Primo is the superior grill!! (Just trying to elicit another 73 posts!).

My big joe poops on you!!!