Chicken legs and wings

CVW

I never really ate wings and legs. After getting my kamado made wings a few times and liked them and I have had some legs and quarters but overall not a lot. I usually eat the breast meat but I do like them. I wanted to ask those who have had more experience eating them a question. I have seen people who stick the leg in and close their mouth around it and when they are done the bones are clean. There are times when legs and wings have some really black stuff as you get into them. Now sometimes there is some light coloring where it contacts the bone but sometimes it is really black and there can also be what looks like a vein but a black color. The people just sticking it in and pulling out clean bones must be eating all of that.

My question is, do you eat the black stuff and the veiny looking stuff and all of that on chicken wings and legs?

This sounds like a topic that would come up in my home... with a couple of my daughters, lol.  I have 2 girls that think the "veins" and "junk" are so gross.  Personally the 2 chicken parts that you mentioned are my favorites.  I have found that my 2 picky girls pretty much stop complaining and actually go back for 2nds when I take the meat to a higher internal temp.  When I take the dark meat closer to 190, the complaints start to subside :-)  It gives the meat a much firmer texture, and seems to make some of the "nasties" disappear.

For wings I eat it all. The only legs and thighs I tend to eat come from whole birds. Then the whole bird is done I generally pull the meat apart. The dark meat almost falls off and separates itself into it's own muscle groups.

i dont know. ever since i got my kamado my eyes are usually closed when i dig my teeth into that succulent juicy flavourful meat and im too busy going Mmmmmmm Mmmmmm to realize what I just ate!

Geez... hope the neighbors cat never decided to nest in your kamado :shock:

:shock:   yikes!

(cat, squirrel, coon, possum etc)

I cant find the cat setting on my Maverick 733.. Elk, Moose, Deer... humm  gotta contact Maverick.

Just got off the phone w/ them... it'll be released with the Mav-734.  It'll include cat, snake, neighbors chihuahua and mother-in-law.

I just looked up the mother-in-law internal temp and it stated 900F.. Whaaaat?  :-o    sorry CVW, rwalters and myself have just trolled your thread.

I make sure the poultry is fully cooked through.  Then eat it all.  The best technique is to turn them a lot while cooking so they don't get burned and helps to make sure they are cooked through and through.