Finally !!!

Marty

Hey Marty,

Great to see you join the club...it looks like your Joe just made it inside your SUV. One thing you'll notice with the Big Joe is if leave the bottom vent all the way open and the top vent with just the daisy wheel full open the Big Joe will always lock-in at 300 - 325F no matter how much lump you put inside the firebox. It's pretty much clock work how well it controls temp. Windy days will be the only thing that can throw your Joe off.

I've tried get a friend's XL Egg to stabalize at 300F with the bottom vent full open and the daisy wheel full open but the Egg was never that consistent and would over and undershoot the temp. It's 1/15 so far. It 300F once.

It seems to be a trick you can only pull off the the Big Joe. The magic with this trick is it allow you time to go grab beer while the Joe warms up to a nice stable 300F. It's doesn't take long to raise the temp higher when you get back. It's the set and forget it approach.

Congrats Marty, you made a good choice and your right the ceramics eat a little more fuel than the akorns. How was your experience in temp control vs the Akorn?

I lit it up in five points and it took off to 550. It sort of surprised me how fast it went up. I closed it to 1/2  open on the bottom and closed the top down to 1/3 with the daisy wheel open. I could watch it drop until it got to about 430 and it did not want to drop any more.  My target was 375. 45 minutes in I started basing every 15 to 20 minutes. It dropped to 300 and never really got back up After two hours it started dropping. That was because of not putting in enough lump..  For my first cook I was pleased. On the steak cook it was easy to hold in 500 range. I am confident that i will get it figured out. I have cooked so long on the AKORN that I can pretty much put it where I want it. It sure did not start out that way.

John has a great video on temp control I need to rewatch. I find 375 is the easiest to hit with the daisy wheel closed but the holes fully open!

Hope that helps

Hey Marty,

Great to see you join the club...it looks like your Joe just made it inside your SUV. One thing you'll notice with the Big Joe is if leave the bottom vent all the way open and the top vent with just the daisy wheel full open the Big Joe will always lock-in at 300 - 325F no matter how much lump you put inside the firebox. It's pretty much clock work how well it controls temp. Windy days will be the only thing that can throw your Joe off.

I've tried get a friend's XL Egg to stabalize at 300F with the bottom vent full open and the daisy wheel full open but the Egg was never that consistent and would over and undershoot the temp. It's 1/15 so far. It 300F once.

It seems to be a trick you can only pull off the the Big Joe. The magic with this trick is it allow you time to go grab beer while the Joe warms up to a nice stable 300F. It's doesn't take long to raise the temp higher when you get back. It's the set and forget it approach.

Charcoal Addict thanks for the advice.

Congrats buddy!!!!

Thank you.

You will have tons of fun with that rig! The ribs look great.

What made you pull the trigger on the big joe?

What made me consider the Big Joe is its ability to do true two zone cooking where you can expose something to direct heat and then cook it indirect or just the opposite.

What made  me consider the Big Joe over the Classic is I wanted to have the space when I need it. In the past this has been a problem. Most day to day cooking the Classic would be fine.

Kamado Joe is actively innovating their line and bringing worth while things to market for the KJ line.

The KJ line is very good quality-- of course so are many other makes of Kamados.

Judging by the results on this forum KJ is very good at standing behind their products if you should need some help with a problem.

They seem like a great bunch of people who enjoy what they do and are happy to help.

Congrats on the Big Joe! :) I plan in getting one this year to put next to my classic Joe!

That would be a gre

Congrats Marty, you made a good choice and your right the ceramics eat a little more fuel than the akorns. How was your experience in temp control vs the Akorn?

I lit it up in five points and it took off to 550. It sort of surprised me how fast it went up. I closed it to 1/2  open on the bottom and closed the top down to 1/3 with the daisy wheel open. I could watch it drop until it got to about 430 and it did not want to drop any more.  My target was 375. 45 minutes in I started basing every 15 to 20 minutes. It dropped to 300 and never really got back up After two hours it started dropping. That was because of not putting in enough lump..  For my first cook I was pleased. On the steak cook it was easy to hold in 500 range. I am confident that i will get it figured out. I have cooked so long on the AKORN that I can pretty much put it where I want it. It sure did not start out that way.

John has a great video on temp control I need to rewatch. I find 375 is the easiest to hit with the daisy wheel closed but the holes fully open!

Hope that helps

I have got to do a bit of looking myself.

I did use John's base line setting recommendations from one of his videos. 

175 to 275 ---bottom slide 1inch open use daisy wheel to set final temp

325 to 450--bottom slide 1/2 open--daisy wheel full open--make final adjustment by sliding the whole top vent

500 up---top vent full open---daisy wheel full open--adjust temp with the slider

at combination.

people.

Wow, Marty, good for you. You have long been one of the cool, calm voices of reason on the Kamado Guru Forum, and are truly a cornerstone, here.

Long a faithful Chargriller Akorn owner, you represented your grill faithfully and withstood a fair amount of flaming from some hardcore Ceramic owners intent on espousing the superiority of ceramic over metal.

Good luck with your new grill. I'm very happy for you!

Wow, Marty, good for you. You have long been one of the cool, calm voices of reason on the Kamado Guru Forum, and are truly a cornerstone, here.

Long a faithful Chargriller Akorn owner, you represented your grill faithfully and withstood a fair amount of flaming from some hardcore Ceramic owners intent on espousing the superiority of ceramic over metal.

Good luck with your new grill. I'm very happy for you!

Ross I'll CC you on that!!

Also thanks Ross.

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase. 

Thanks.

Congrats Marty and thanks for your business. Please don't hesitate to call if we can ever be of any help.

Thanks!!  How about this---a congratulations from the company and an offer to help if i need it!! Awesome. It doesn't get any better than this.