Grillin' Canuck

Grillin' Canuck Chick Joins the Kamado Community

Greetings Kamado Gurus!

After a colleague and friend, K-ville, acquired his Vision Classic B from Costco last year, my interest was peaked.  Around the office here in Ottawa, K-ville is known as 'The Guy' to talk to about all things smoked, grilled, BBQ'd, marinated, brined, etc, etc, etc.  Having had his new cooker for less than 72 hours, already he was thrilled and enthusiastic about his cooking future.

The next day, my husband, Nadir, found himself standing in front of the large piles of barbeques at Costco with me selling him on ALL of the amazing things I had heard from K-ville and read on the internet about Kamados being not only the barbeque, but a barbeque way of life!!!  (For the record, it really didn't take much convincing.)

We grabbed a flat bed trolley for the Vision Classic B, loaded the cadillac-sized Costco cart with charcoal and the rest... well, the rest was a smoke filled year of slow cooked pig parts and hunks of beef, perfectly peppered steaks and grilled veggies, herby roasted chickens and turkeys, wood-oven fired pizzas and more.

We are two wine lovin', beer drinkin', grillin', smokin', cottage goin', hikin' bikin', canoin', Canuck Yuppies in the Software biz and we both absolutely love to come home to our Kamado at the end of any day.  In true Canadian stylie we cook on it hot or cold, rain or snow or shine and have found that no matter what, the food ALWAYS comes out tasting delish! (Even, despite a few growing pains.)

We are so happy that we discovered this baby early in our careers and lives together and look forward to improving our recipes and ranting about the addition to our family for years to come!

Start your fire boxes and get your smoke on!  B)

Grillin' Canuck

post-4780-0-87938900-1395263990_thumb.jp

post-4780-0-96418600-1395263992.jpg

post-4780-0-37005900-1395263995_thumb.pn

post-4780-0-22085800-1395263997_thumb.jp

post-4780-0-58202900-1395263998_thumb.jp

post-4780-0-71362200-1395263999_thumb.jp

Haha Welcome! Love the pics! frozen shut? Ive never had that happen. was the felt wet?

haha. Yeah. It snowed, got warm, then got really cold, hence lots of moisture on the felt. At first we tried to fix it in -30C, but decided indoors was a better option. Now we cover it as soon as it's cooled.

Oh Yea!

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad I don't have to defrost my gaskets before I can get my grill open!  It reminds me of a trip I made to Green Bay one time and they had to de-ice my rental car at the airport because the doors were frozen shut...  I hate cold weather!

I have seen multiple reports of people opening both vents and placing a lit candle or starter cube under the firebox. After about 30 minutes problem solved.

Edited by Mewantkj

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      I really got started with assembly about three weeks ago. 

• By burnt_ends
      Hi, I followed the steps in this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm-nm4Z7wA&t=15s
      and I my brisket turned out dry and dense. I'm hoping you can tell me where I went wrong:
      - ~5.5 lbs (pre-trimmed) of Prime Angus grain fed brisket point from https://shalhoob.com/butcher-shop - trimmed as much of the silver skin off as I could - trimmed off hard fat and tried to leave 1/8" to 1/4" of fat - seasoned 24 hours prior to cook with 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt - used Kamado Joe lump charcoal and two medium chucks of mesquite hardwood - ambient outside temperature was low-mid 80s - waited until grill came up to temp and smoke was mostly clear before putting meat on - put meat on fat side down - cooked in Classic III using sloroller, on the lower level rack - cooked with water pan on grill - used Thermopro two probe digital thermometer (1 probe at grill level, 1 probe in thickest part of brisket) - grill temp ranged between 245-270, but mostly 250-260 - took ~6.5 hrs to get to 170 internal temp - wrapped in foil at 172 - took ~1.5 hrs to get to 203  - at ~203 a wood shish kabob skewer did go through meat, but still felt a little resistance. At this point I pulled it b/c I was concerned about over cooking - kept in foil, wrapped in towel, put in cooler for 1.5 hrs
      The brisket had bark and a smoke ring. Pencil thin slice passed pull test. But it was dry and dense.  The attached photos are from the day after the cook and the meat is cold.

Where do I go wrong?

Thanks!!

• By GrillDawg
      Hey all!

New owner of a Kamado Joe. Been looking for a while but finally pulled the trigger with Atlanta Grilling Company's Father's Day sale. She arrived yesterday and still sitting in the garage as I need a couple buddies to come over to help move it out on the patio.

I love to grill but fairly new to the kamado scene. Any suggestions for a first cook?

Excited to be a part of this forum. Hoping to learn a lot!
    • By Up North Engineering
      Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a little while and realized I forgot to do an intro. I recently tossed my old SS propane grille and took the plunge on a Kamado Joe Big Joe II. I'm waiting for delivery from AGC. I've been wanting a smoker for years, and a guy at work put the idea in my head to build a pizza oven to go along with my new stamped concrete patio in my backyard. The KJ will take the place of all of these. I've been doing probably too much research on smoking/searing etc with the Kamado, like the rest of you have too, and look forward to taking delivery and my backyard being completed. 
      Thanks to everyone that I've gotten valuable info from! 
    • By junewl
      I inherited an egg shaped cooker with a 12" grill. My late husband bought it in Japan when serving as a pilot in USAF in 1960's. This object needs renovation. I hope to do some smoking on it. I will try to find some replacement parts for it. I don't read Kanji and I don't know if there is a manual or parts list available. Any suggestions will be appreciated.