1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup milk
1 beaten egg
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup corn (drained if canned) - optional
Shredded mild cheddar cheese to taste (or any cheese you like)

Combine the dry ingredients.  Add it to the wet ingredients.  Mix well.  Put in a 10" cast iron skillet and cook at 375-400° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!

I've never mixed anything with my cornbread. I'll have to try it. Thanks, John.

My grandmother in North Texas always heated the CI skillet with a dollop of oil before adding the cornbread batter and baking.

Have you tried that?

I usually use 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the heated skillet before putting in the batter. Buttermilk instead of regular milk also creates a nice batch of cornbread.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Test run on Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Garlic was successful.   I forgot to spray plastic wrap with oil and as a result top of loaf stuck to wrap which is why loaf top looks the way it does, and why the loaf is more square.  After removing the stuck wrap, the top collapsed about 1 inch so I gave an extra 10 minutes to proof before baking on my Kamado.   Taste and texture very good.   I think if I were to pair with about 2% rosemary the resulting loaf might be excellent in flavour,  very happy with this test run.  Garlic flavour very good and not overpowering.   Next week my test run will be with Roasted Potato bread with Roasted Onions.

Rosemary roasted potato bread - test run successful.    Hydration 61%, fresh rosemary at 1 %, hard red spring whole wheat flour at 15%,  Hard white wheat artesian flour at 85%, roasted potatoes at 25%.  Taste is very nice, rosemary not overpowering,   Might try again at 2% later next year.    Still need to improve my shaping so line in bottom not visible.   If this was entered in to bread baking contest I would lose some points.  Everything else would score decently. This is another success as far as I am concerned for taste, crumb, texture and moisture.  

Temperature outside was -9C,   Made sure final dough temperature after final kneading at 75 F.

Here is my test run on Roasted Potatoe bread, hydration is 61% with  Hard white artesian flour 85%, 15% whole wheat flour from hard red spring wheat and 25 % roasted yellow potatoes.   I still need to practice fendu shaping, you can see in picture fendu shape not right yet.  The dip in middle needs to more like a u shape. Only Pate Fermentee was not in pictures otherwise all other ingredients where.  Taste is very nice with roasted potatoes as part of the bread. 

Rustic bread test run was successful.   I used 2.2 kg scale.  Base of recipe was same dough as country bread but this time bread has 20% whole-wheat  (10% rye, 10% hard red spring wheat).   I have to thank Larry about his YouTube video where to said to shut vents after 10 minutes,  the bottom of crust was perfect.   Very happy with taste.    This bread delicious on own and can be eaten with other dishes.  

1st test run some scored failed and loaf collapsed during brotform turn over, taste was very good but since I considered it a failure no photos from it included,    2nd test run, on Country bread loaf was smashing success.    My scoring worked much better on this test.  Still need some more practice to have my scores look professional.   One change I made was to mist top of loaf well with water before placing on pizza stone in my Kamado grill.   It helped make the crust better for the texture I was looking for,  the taste, crumb and texture is awesome.  Baked at 450F.   Tastes so good I am going to have another slice.  Enjoy the photo’s.