Two-Inch Thick Black Angus Ribeyes

20140323_Ribeyes.jpg

I went shopping for some meat this afternoon and the local grocery store didn't have much that looked great in my book.  They had some black angus ribeyes (no hormone/grass fed etc) steaks that looked pretty decent but they were cut pretty thin.  I asked the butcher if he had any of those left that he could cut thick for me and he said "How Thick?"  That's just what I wanted to hear!  I picked up two of these at two inches thick.  Gonna reverse sear these guys on the Kamado Joe Classic for dinner!  One well done and one medium rare for me :)

Nice marbling on those ribeyes. A nice reverse sear is just what they need, especially the one being cooked at med/rare. I just cooked some strip steaks too. Took em' off at 120F and cranked the vents open till I hit 550 and 45 seconds on each side with brushed on butter did the trick for me. Nice char. I hope yours comes out as well.

Edited by aljoseph

I just did a pan sear steak for my Sunday main meal and after seeing those ribeyes I'm drooling.  Completely agree, reverse sear is the way to go.  Do you know if they were wet pack (also called wet aged) or were they dry aged?  Personally I prefer dry aged for that melt in your mouth intense beefy flavor with buttery tenderness.  

Looking good, but why not on the Junior?

It's easier to do a reverse sear with the split heat deflector in a two-zone setup.

. Why not just setup one for low and slow, and the other grill for the hot sear? Then there is no wait time, I have done it with two weber kettles before Edited by Mewantkj

It's easier to do a reverse sear with the split heat deflector in a two-zone setup.

. Why not just setup one for low and slow, and the other grill for the hot sear? Then there is no wait time, I have done it with two weber kettles before

That would be easy enough to do for sure.  I used this cook as a cooking video for the Kamado Joe channel on YouTube.  I did not want to set up a situation where the viewer might think they would need two grills to do the cook.  It's quick and easy enough to bring a grill that is hovering at 300 degrees up to 600 degrees just by opening the vents.  That takes about 5-7 minutes.

. Why not just setup one for low and slow, and the other grill for the hot sear? Then there is no wait time, I have done it with two weber kettles before

That would be easy enough to do for sure.  I used this cook as a cooking video for the Kamado Joe channel on YouTube.  I did not want to set up a situation where the viewer might think they would need two grills to do the cook.  It's quick and easy enough to bring a grill that is hovering at 300 degrees up to 600 degrees just by opening the vents.  That takes about 5-7 minutes.

Makes sense.