Drumsticks for the Win! (Lemon Pepper Skinless Drumsticks)

Lemon Pepper Grilled Skinless Drumsticks

You gotta love skinless drumsticks. Almost identical to boneless breast when it comes to nutrition but less than half the cost and they taste better to me. I know most of us are not super health conscious when it comes to serious BBQ but for that midweek family dinner, these work out great. A typical 6 oz. boneless breast serving has 210 calories, 6 grams of fat and 38 grams of protein. Three skinless drumsticks have 234 calories, 7.8 grams of fat and 38 grams of protein. I love cripsy chicken skin but these came out very juicy and flavorful even without it.

1. Wash about 1 pound of chicken drumsticks.

2. Peel the skin back and off using paper towels to grip the skin (kinda like we do rib membranes).

3. Toss legs in a tablespoon of olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a tablespoon of lemon juice. 

4. I don't marinade weekday cooks. Just got Akorn to about 300 degrees using a direct heat setup (hot coals in the center).

5. Put drumsticks directly over hot coals and closed lid. Turned every 3 minutes. Once all sides got a little sear, I moved drumsticks to the side to indirect heat cook.

6. Closed lid and checked on them every 10 minutes until they reached about 165*. It took about 15 minutes on the direct heat and then 20 minutes on the indirect heat.

7. Tossed them in another tablespoon of lemon juice and some chopped parsley after I took them off. 

post-2630-0-77785400-1395836577_thumb.jp

Sam, that really looks like a great technique and an excellent display of your cook. Unfortunately for me, 3 drummies is only a mild warmup. If they are any good, and I'll bet yours are, I'd need a whole lot more (who's counting calories by the way) to satisfy my craving for them. I'm gonna give your recipe a try.