Wife doesn't like "smoke" flavor

Thank you so much for all the kind words and thoughtful suggestions!

I will definitely be trying some of the tips to keep the charcoal smoke flavor down, and sorry to hear that about the Frontier coal, i just bought 2 bags on discount, i guess it sits around till i finish my royal oak stash, which i could tell just in the bag, seems a lot more neutral aroma than the frontier.

I must say after reading a lot of what you guys wrote I probably could be a lot worse off. She has lessened the complaints since I haven't been using wood, and it's more so about me smelling like smoke and not wanting me to get started grilling BC she knows it's a process.

Good morning everyone. I have been away for a while and did not know how to reconnect with all of you but this thread hit a chord. First, congratulations Guy on the upcoming addition to the family. Over the past several months I have been dealing with family issues and my wife's health in particular. It has been a long road but things are looking much better. During this time with treatments and medication adjustments she also became hypersensitive to smoke as well as other smells, foods and sounds. When the human body is undergoing changes this is normal and very frustrating to the individual and those around them. My wife was very sensitive to the smoke on me. I did all things suggested here as well as change cloths after grilling and showering before bed. This all helped. However, the big thing was her feeling of helplessness, isolation and depression. Anyone in pain, discomfort and fatigue will have this. I cut back on grilling and other things to spend time with her which is what she really wanted. Guy, I get the impression from your post that this may be part what your wife wants as well. Spend time with her now and everything else will fall into place. I hope I did not step over any lines here or post too much if so I apologize. This is just my experience as a doctor and husband. Thanks for listening.

Thank you so much for all the kind words and thoughtful suggestions!

I will definitely be trying some of the tips to keep the charcoal smoke flavor down, and sorry to hear that about the Frontier coal, i just bought 2 bags on discount, i guess it sits around till i finish my royal oak stash, which i could tell just in the bag, seems a lot more neutral aroma than the frontier.

I must say after reading a lot of what you guys wrote I probably could be a lot worse off. She has lessened the complaints since I haven't been using wood, and it's more so about me smelling like smoke and not wanting me to get started grilling BC she knows it's a process.

The time and smelling like smoke are a different issue all together... Now that we have a two year old, we have fallen into the pattern where my Inlaws come over and help with everything else while I cook food on Saturday afternoons/ leftovers for the week. I know I am luck to have that help!

Good morning everyone. I have been away for a while and did not know how to reconnect with all of you but this thread hit a chord. First, congratulations Guy on the upcoming addition to the family. Over the past several months I have been dealing with family issues and my wife's health in particular. It has been a long road but things are looking much better. During this time with treatments and medication adjustments she also became hypersensitive to smoke as well as other smells, foods and sounds. When the human body is undergoing changes this is normal and very frustrating to the individual and those around them. My wife was very sensitive to the smoke on me. I did all things suggested here as well as change cloths after grilling and showering before bed. This all helped. However, the big thing was her feeling of helplessness, isolation and depression. Anyone in pain, discomfort and fatigue will have this. I cut back on grilling and other things to spend time with her which is what she really wanted. Guy, I get the impression from your post that this may be part what your wife wants as well. Spend time with her now and everything else will fall into place. I hope I did not step over any lines here or post too much if so I apologize. This is just my experience as a doctor and husband. Thanks for listening.

Best of luck with all the health issues! I agree supporting ones loved ones comes before grilling.

My wife isn't a big fan of smoke either. She loves ribs and a good pork butt (I use mainly applewood chunks on top of Basque's Nature's Own lump charcoal) but she says she prefers chicken, steaks and burgers on the gasser. To each their own... I've used the gasser for grilled veggies but I guess I'll need to use it a bit more often for her sake. Nothing is preventing me from cooking my stuff on the Kamado and hers on the Weber gasser!

My wife isn't a big fan of smoke either. She loves ribs and a good pork butt (I use mainly applewood chunks on top of Basque's Nature's Own lump charcoal) but she says she prefers chicken, steaks and burgers on the gasser. To each their own... I've used the gasser for grilled veggies but I guess I'll need to use it a bit more often for her sake. Nothing is preventing me from cooking my stuff on the Kamado and hers on the Weber gasser!

With me keeping the top vent open and cooking in the 400 degree range for chicken fixed my complaints. With steaks if you can get it right on top of the flame they will be great and the same for burgers.

Tonight we did a couple variations on chicken direct at 400. The chicken drippings created a nice grilled smoky flavor. No complaints from wife, I was surprised

Done that way my wife says it is more like what I did on the gasser---except any chicken with skin on the gasser was a fire hazard'

Not getting flare up is one of the things I love about the Kamado.

My wife told me she doesn't like smoke, but I made pork chops last night with apple wood chunks, and she thought they were the best chops she's ever had. I then told her that pink ring on the outside of her meat is a "smoke ring" and I smoked them instead of just barbecuing them and now she's a fan of smoke. I think someone had previously "smoked" some food for her with too strong of a smoke for what she had, or did something very wrong with it. I've come across this several times during our marriage. Usually turns out the previous person to feed her whatever I'm making did a poor job at it.